Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

I want this so bad

Old 09-07-2011, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai Accent
Default I want this so bad

http://jalopnik.com/5837655/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGCs7...layer_embedded

There's nothing subtle about Terrahawk's Mobile Utility Surveillance Tower (MUST). It's a jacked-up matte black Ford E-series van with a curiously large protrusion up to. Mobile murder room? Not quite. MUST just likes to watch.

In less than two minutes the van goes from ginormous van to mobile guard tower complete with radar, thermal imaging, night vision, and even air-conditioning. The scissor-lift design isn't novel — security services have been using similar lifts for years — but a purpose-built van with such a complete surveillance platform seems new. An argument the company will soon make to Congress.

Terrahawk isn't advertising it explicitly as a sniper's nest but, c'mon, if you need a van this intense you should be armed.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:00 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Need for zombie apocalypse.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

I saw some guard towers similar to that in Iraq. Not part of a ford, but went up the same way. I always imagined being in a fire fight and a round hitting the hydraulics on it... Then slowly going down in the middle of the fight behind the wall.. or in that case back in the truck.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

No no, you silly goose it would explode like inna movies!
Old 09-08-2011, 07:47 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

FAIL!!! Fail, fail, fail, fail, FAKE!!!

Going by the onscreen timer, look at the clouds at 0:10, and 0:36. THEY MOVE!!! Time has elapsed!

And at 0:35ish, there's a weird darkness around the tires/hydraulics. Unless the hydraulics are using a diesel motor, there's something super weird with that. Also at 0:36 when the scene changes, the reflection in the window changes too (most likely due to the clouds moving?)

And unless the tower is pretty thick, I really doubt that's very bullet proof. If it is bullet proof, that's going to be super topheavy. Sure it has those hydraulics, but they don't go out beyond the side of the van, so it doesn't help too much. And of course they paint it flat black to appear as though it's completely bullet proof. Then the interior shot of the van shows it's still the same thin skin of a E-series van. Flat black paint doesn't repel bullets very well.