Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

I thought women knew that guys didn't like valentines day...

Old 02-08-2010, 08:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 99 Red Tib
Default I thought women knew that guys didn't like valentines day...

My parents were supposed to come and visit us this weekend, but we needed to reschedule last night. My wife said that they could come next weekend, but she said that it is valentines day next sunday. I said that it would be fine because they usually leave on sunday morning and I don't like valentines day anyway. She was surprised, and I followed up with "it's just a holiday for women and it doesn't have any real meaning."

Am I alone in thinking that choosing an arbitrary day for guys to get their women flowers and candy is lame? I have to get her something... her friends will ask her what we did for valentines day.

Don't get me wrong: I am all about celebrating anniversaries and such. Valentines day just seems lame to me. Then again its all for women but men do have steak and a bj day. laugh.gif
Old 02-08-2010, 09:22 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

valentines day is a day created by gift companies

ever see that episode of the simpsons with "love day"

i think i was 10 years old when i realized that the only reason its in February was because its between christmas and easter
Old 02-08-2010, 10:29 AM

Vehicle: 2002 Accent

I forget exactly but I thought it has roots with St. Valentine who would marry Christians back when the Romans persecuted Christians. And the Romans found him and killed him or something like that. Google might help but I'm lazy.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Valentine's day is something I try to get around by breaking up right before it and making up right after (not intentionally. Just seems to always happen).
Old 02-08-2010, 11:34 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Veloster DCT w/ Tech

Hallmark and florists got together with Russell Stovers and decided to pick a day where they could all mark up their products 150% and men would pay it because women expected it..............bastards! I'm so glad I always have to work on V-day. It truly is a rediculous waste of time and money.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:13 PM

Vehicle: SRT4/Neon SOHC

Fawk. Id say its a waste. But I'm not a girl. Most girls (not all) seem to enjoy getting things so I dont mind it I guess. I think even though it is actually meaningless, if you have a special someone its still nice to get them something to show you care for them. Not so much the day.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:20 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Subaru Legacy 2.5l Limited

what girl does not love fresh flowers? i dont want candies or stuffed animals. just some flowers and a card is fine for me. unfortunately, going on year 3 without getting any......sad.gif

valentines day is the day to show appreciation to women for all the stuff we do for our men. like cooking, cleaning and for staying out of your hair on game day. valentines day is the same concept as mothers and fathers day.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:32 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

hmm so instead of doing something because you mean it

you have a day of obligation?

and what about a day for the men who (since you are resorting to stereotypes) work all day to pay the bills?

nevermind the fact that i typically cook and she makes more money than me...
Old 02-08-2010, 04:50 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Accent

QUOTE (iheartmyredcar @ Feb 8 2010, 03:20 PM)
what girl does not love fresh flowers? i dont want candies or stuffed animals. just some flowers and a card is fine for me. unfortunately, going on year 3 without getting any...... sad.gif

valentines day is the day to show appreciation to women for all the stuff we do for our men. like cooking, cleaning and for staying out of your hair on game day. valentines day is the same concept as mothers and fathers day.

i guess a HA flower fund for Amanda is in order haha

I'm waiting for the day someone takes ME out for a date on Valentines day. that would be refreshing.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:02 PM

Vehicle: SRT4/Neon SOHC

^If I could I would.