Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

I probably wouldnt let go either

Old 05-11-2012, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon
Default I probably wouldnt let go either

3TbKL.jpg

Time magazine's newest cover, with L.A. mom Jamie Lynne Grumet breast-feeding her almost 4-year-old son, is drawing fire on the Internet.

According to the Los Angeles Times, editors at the magazine said they ran the provocative cover photo and a story on attachment parenting to mark the 20th anniversary of the Dr. Barry Sears book on the subject, which helped power the movement for moms to establish deeper, and more prolonged, physical bonds with their children.

Or, perhaps, simply to have something really embarrassing to use against their kids when they become teenagers.

Grumet, 26, says in the article how she herself was nursed until she was 6 years old. She said her mom was not a hippie

but her dad was a UC Berkeley-trained nutritional scientist, and his schooling informed the family's nursing imperative.

Grumet regularly blogs about her parenting experiences. The blog appeared to have crashed Thursday under the weight of her new fame.

On Facebook, Grumet discusses a variety of topics, including the challenges facing a multiracial family. An adopted son is black, while Grumet is white. One entry reads: "Being an adoptive transracial family we always knew we were going to face hardships other families will never have to deal with."

Which is obviously why she posed for that cover photo picture with another son. It should make things much easier when he goes to school.

Grumet seemed surprised by her

sudden fame, says the Los Angeles Times. "Oh my gosh!" she posted on her Facebook page. "Aram and I are on the cover of @timemagazine." She is expected to appear on the "Today" show Friday.

Sears and other advocates of attachment parenting claim it has many physiological and psychological benefits, though Time's reporter on the story says there is no long-term study that proves the benefits. The program calls for not only nursing children well into their toddler years, but for toting young kids in slings, to be closer to their parents, and to encourage them to sleep in bed with mom and dad.

That's a good way for them to make sure they don't have siblings to compete with.

Reactions to the provocative photo of Grumet and son Aram ran the gamut. "How ridiculous can Time magazine get to prove a point?" wrote one woman on Twitter. The parenting blog Babble.com expressed ambivalence: "Is it extreme to breast-feed a 3-year-old? That depends on how you feel about extended breast-feeding, of course. But one thing is for sure: it's totally, totally hot. Or gross and weird. Or both."

Rick Stengel, Time's managing editor, explaining the cover, told Forbes magazine, "To me, the whole point of a magazine cover is to get your attention. From the moment that we started talking about this story as a cover possibility, it was like I couldn't get out of the meetings. There was so much opinion and passion about it and discussion."

http://www.mercurynews.com/news/ci_2...rs-causes-stir