Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

I love California...but ummm...this is crazy!

Old 12-03-2009, 10:02 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T
Default I love California...but ummm...this is crazy!

Ok...I grew up in Cali, and its my 2nd home and I love alot of things about the state....but at the same time....theres some seriously messed up things there too. This has got to be the most dumbest idea ever....

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/154936;_y...n4npLoFI4MPMZA5

California outlaws large, power-hungry TVs

In a move that could spell the end of the plasma TV industry as we know it, the state of California agreed today to enact strict regulations on the amount of power televisions can consume, effectively outlawing most large plasma TVs as of January 1, 2011, with many more televisions set to be banned beginning January 1, 2013. The state had been concerned that 10 percent of a home's energy use is typically devoted to the TV and its related equipment, and that percentage has been increasing as consumers gain access to larger and larger (and cheaper and cheaper) televisions, which command an ever-increasing hunger for power.

The new rules go into effect a little more than a year from now: On January 1, 2011, televisions will be required to reduce energy consumption by an average of 33 percent. In 2013, a second tier of restrictions will go into effect, with average energy consumption required to be reduced by 49 percent vs. today's levels.

Rest assured, this doesn't mean the end of the television as we know it. As the California Energy Commission notes, as of now, over 1,000 televisions already meet the 2011 standards, so many manufacturers won't have to panic in order to comply with the regulations, at least for now.

Those who will be heavily affected are manufacturers who make televisions that draw more than their fair share of juice. A formula related to the size of the TV's screen in square inches will be used to determine the maximum power draw allowed by a TV. For example, Panasonic's 54-inch VIERA plasma TV would be allowed to draw 281 watts of power in "on mode." Today that set is rated to draw 293 watts of power. Smaller plasmas are generally OK under the 2011 specs, but virtually all of them fall short when put up against the 2013 rules. That same 54-inch plasma will be required to draw only 175 watts once 2013 arrives, a power reduction that just might not be possible.
Bottom line: Most LCD televisions will be safe under the 2011 law, and many plasmas will as well, but come 2013, everyone's going to have to do some serious belt-tightening.

All told, the new rules are expected to save 6,515 Gigawatt-hours annually in the state, save the state $8.7 billion in costs for additional power plants, and save consumers $8.1 billion a year in lower energy bills.

One additional point of note: The new rules currently don't apply to very large TVs, those of 1,400 square inches or larger (roughly a 58" set), although rules are likely to be enacted against these ultra-large sets in the second phase of this legislation.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 02 Hyundai Accent

In a way this will just force the industry to invent newer less power consuming technoligy so I see it as a good thing. At the same time I think its lame cause the new r+d will drive the prices of tv's back up.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2006 Hyundai Accent

Hmm I could see both sides of this. In a way to save the earth this is a great idea as tvs especially plasmas draw a lot of power that is a luxury.

But on the other hand

Doesn't that inflict on the rights and freedoms act?
Old 12-03-2009, 10:09 AM
Administrator

My thoughts exactly on it.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:40 AM

Vehicle: 2008 Tiburon

We just discussed this in my business class last week. Something that article didnt tell you is that of the 100 top selling TVs only 2 would not comply with the law. Its not as bad as it seems. I personally thinks its great.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:48 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

I don't understand why corporations keep bending over and letting Cali ram these laws up their a*ses. The car makers all had absolutely no will to fight when CARB was formed and enacted strict emissions laws. Now electronics companies will probably invest millions to meet these regulations and pass the cost on to all of us, including those who don't live in Cali. What they should do is all get together and tell Cali, "Fine. As of 2011, we no longer ship TV's to Cali. Your residents will have to buy out of state". How long after people start firebombing the capitol building would it take for the legislators to repeal the law? Either that or the electronics companies could say, "Attention people of California... because of this new law, we are now charging an extra 50% over MSRP for TV's sold in California. Thank your legislators". See previous statement about firebombings.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:13 AM

Vehicle: 2002 honda crv

"How long after people start firebombing the capitol building would it take for the legislators to repeal the law?"

Isn't that the real problem? There will be no firebombing. People watch like sheep while the legislature deals out these ineffective, freedom sapping laws. All the while, the schools and the roads are crumbling. "the people" voted these idiots into power, and this is what you will get. Here in Michigan, we have a different problem. Our schools and roads are crumbling much faster. Not through silly passing of laws though, but more that the financial crisis has freaked them out, and made them impotent, unable to make any decisions at all.

Not that I have completely swallowed the cynical pill, but man, lets not wait and count on the next election to save us. Do something now!

JMHO
Old 12-04-2009, 06:40 AM
Administrator

Werd, yO!