Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

How Would You Cut Sheet Metal?

Old 01-05-2008, 03:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

If you were to take a big 2'x2' piece of thin sheet metal how would you cut it? I mean without a professional laser or waterjet. Just doing the work yourself at home. Are there blades for your tablesaw or jigsaw or dremel?

Would it be possible to cut it into strips?
Would it be possible to cut out a big triangle in the middle? a big circle? a big heart? etc...
If you can do this at home is there a limit on the thickness that you could safely DIY? .020"? .040"? .080"? .125"?

Anyone? Thanks!
Old 01-05-2008, 03:59 AM

personally, probably my jigsaw, or dremel.

i actually used a jigsaw last night to add a vent into my heater ducting last night. so i know that it will work to cut sheet metal at least.
Old 01-05-2008, 05:10 AM

I would use a dremil.. but then I have also cut the rear fender off of a car with a Dremil (and lots and lots and lots of cutting discs)

I find it gives more control and is less likely to tear up the thin sheet metal than a jigsaw
Old 01-05-2008, 05:28 AM

^

the little thin brown disc's? i hate those things! they work so well, but for any major project, you go through a handfull of them it seems like. you can use the thicker one's, but they just dont cut as clean or as nicely.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:09 AM

The best way to do it is just send me a drawing of what you want and I'll laser cut it for you.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:16 PM
Banned

the best way to use a dremel is get the metal disks. they have a quick on/off attachment.

these things are AWESOME.. i cut through the entire length of my radiator support (length of radiator) in about 10 minutes with only 3/4 of one of the bits.. that metal is a bit thicker than your standard sheet metal.

in cutting stuff though, IMO a dremel works wonders, especially with the flexible attachment. you have so much freedom and ability to cut from much more angles than if you were using some type of saw.

i also used ONE bit to cut through ALL of my fiberglass when i was doing my body work and the bit is still able to be used.. they are MUCH MUCH nicer then the crappy thin brown discs.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:22 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

Thank you everyone.

Socks, thanks. I'll have to find one of those discs and give it a shot. Does it say metal b/c it's made of metal or b/c it's made for cutting metal? Is that the same type of disc you used on your fiberglass bodywork?

Mad, I'd hate to have to change those silly little brown discs constantly and would throw a fit. How did you keep your cool?

Monoxide, you cut a new vent into you heater duct?lol Umm... in which car? and why?
Old 01-05-2008, 02:30 PM

^

in my basement. added a vent so there could be a bit more heat down there.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:53 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I'd probly use a jigsaw with a diamond grit blade/high tooth count (8 to 24 teeth per inch), or a air powered cutoff wheel to get a rough outline, then i'd use the dremmel to clean it up. Youd get less frustrated with breaking dremmel cutoff wheels, and you'd be able to clean it up with the dremmel afterwards. Those really are the proper tools for the job.

Old 01-05-2008, 03:02 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

QUOTE (tiburonmoo @ Jan 5 2008, 08:22 PM)
Monoxide, you cut a new vent into you heater duct?lol Umm... in which car? and why?

LOL I figured it was basement.

I would use an air cutoff wheel for a rough outline instead of a saw type thing. The saw would tear it more I think. But if it doesnt matter just go with whatever is available and make sure you can straighten it out later.