Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

How To Send Messages?

Old 01-03-2006, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just got new computers and 19' flat screen monitors for our English classrooms at school. We are using Linspire, never used it before and it's a Linux based console. Like on windows u can go to dos and typer net send (computer name) (message) my question is how do u do that on linux console. If its even possible?? Thx guys!!!
Old 01-03-2006, 10:33 AM

depending on what they've got blocked (which I'd assume they do) you can try the [write] and [talk] commands.

[write] sends a message to a logged in user. [talk] opens up a 2-way conversation.

To see if, and how, you can use them, just type:

CODE
man talk

or

CODE
man write

to see the manuals for each command.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:28 PM

One awesome way I found to get around linux is using a program called 'rdesktop'. If you setup your computer at home to accept incoming remote desktop connections, and write down your ip address, you can connect to it from school. Something like "rdesktop xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -l username" (I don't remember the syntax exactly). You can easily find rdesktop on google. Then you can do anything on your home computer with no restrictions fing02.gif
Old 01-03-2006, 06:30 PM

Thx! guys I'll try out both ways tomorrow