Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

How old were you when you got your first credit card?

Old 09-22-2010, 05:39 PM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

all 3 credit reporting agencies are required now to give a free report every 12 months. They aren't required to give a score, but FreeCreditReport and FreeScore do. I think TransUnion requires a paid membership to see the score.

You don't have to go through a special website to get your free annual report, they're all required to give it.

You can check Equifax in January, TransUnion in June, Experian in October, and start the process over the following year.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:00 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

QUOTE (majik @ Sep 22 2010, 06:39 PM)
all 3 credit reporting agencies are required now to give a free report every 12 months. They aren't required to give a score, but FreeCreditReport and FreeScore do. I think TransUnion requires a paid membership to see the score.

Your site gives you a "score", but it's not a FICO score. That site is made by Experian and they use their own credit scoring system which in my experience was 50 points different than my FICO. I believe they call theirs Vantage. Anyways, it's garbage and won't help you know where you are in the eyes of creditors.
I used to get it through my AMEX card, but I never really payed attention to the scores since I knew they were useless for credit purposes.

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp
^^^THIS is the site you need to go to to receive your ONE time a year report for free. It is governed by the FTC and FACTA and is a non-biased site.
Any other site is built and sponsored by one of the 3 bureaus. You will typically get their legitimate report from there, but the other two is considered not to be legitimate and may be refused as such from those bureaus when disputing information off that report. They will ask for the report # and if it's not there, then they'll typically turn you down or give you a hard time. When disputing, you need to get a report directly from the bureaus site, or the one I just posted.

The ONLY true way to get your FICO score is either through Fair Isaacs site: MyFICO.com or from your financial institution.
Experian recently became a little b*tch and stopped allowing people to get their Experian FICO score through MyFico.com. Now you can only get it from financial institutions. It should be illegal if you ask me. They have scores on you, but you're not allowed to see it before applying for something???

Anyways, I use ScoreWatch from MyFICO.com to get true FICO score from TU and EQ. If you're interested in it, use FICO25 as the discount code for 25% off their rates for a year.

REMEMBER, there is a difference between a "credit score" and a "FICO score". Make sure you read clearly which one it is before buying anything.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:12 PM
Administrator

^ I was waiting for you to chime in. tongue.gif

Excellent guidance.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:02 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I got my first card when i was 18. I now have 2 cards. Both have very high limits. I use only one frequently and keep a balance on it. I have an 800 credit score which is because of credit history, and authorized versus used credit.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:07 AM

Vehicle: '97 X3

22 and never had one
no need as im a student and will just f*ck me up big time
Old 09-23-2010, 11:09 AM

QUOTE (DTN @ Sep 22 2010, 10:02 PM)
I got my first card when i was 18. I now have 2 cards. Both have very high limits. I use only one frequently and keep a balance on it. I have an 800 credit score which is because of credit history, and authorized versus used credit.

For your info, and everyone elses, 10% of FICO scores come from the diversity and number of cards in your pocket. The true numbers are not given by Fair Isaac, but people have done studies on the impact and find that about 3-5 credit cards will help, and at least one of them should be a store card along with a credit/charge card. Those are revolving accounts. It also helps to have 1 installment loan such as a car payment or mortgage.
Of course, getting a car loan just to increase your FICO is dumb, but facts are facts. wink.gif
Old 09-23-2010, 11:19 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

On my credit report I have 3 store cards which have 0 balance. I don't use them. I have in the past though.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:30 AM

^^^Companies have been closing down cards like crazy for non-use. It saves them money by getting rid of dead accounts. I would go buy something small on them every 3 months and pay it off before the statement hits. No interest accrued and you keep your credit account active.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:25 PM

Vehicle: 02 accent

I was 19. I carry a balance about 20% of the time.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:27 PM
Administrator

^ I started doing that with my long term B of A credit card. I NEVER use it, even over 3-4 years, but I realized it was my longest outstanding account, so I hit it at least 2-3 months of the year with something minor.

My account review says having three installment accounts are negatively impacting my score.
I have a mortgage, a student loan, and two auto loans. It's classifying the mortgage as "real estate" and the other three as "installment"

My credit score was 775, then dropped to 750 when I bought the Gen on July 17 and opened a Kohl's store credit card the same week. A month later it increased to 767 and after 2 months it's back up to 770.

Negative Factors Contributing to Your Score
1. Your have too many installment loans
Although having installment loans, such as auto loans, on your credit report can help you build a solid credit history, having too many installment loans can bring your score down because they carry fixed monthly payments. Fixed payments are sometimes viewed by lenders as negative because they may affect your ability to meet other loan obligations.

Positive Factors Contributing to Your Score
1. You have paid your bills on time
You have paid your bills on time and currently do not have any overdue accounts or derogatory information, such as a collection, charge-off, or bankruptcy, on your report.

2. You have a low balance-to-limit ratio
You have a good cushion of available credit between your current balance and your credit limits on all open trades. This has a positive affect on your credit score. This cushion shows lenders that you are unlikely to overextend yourself financially.

3. You have a low balance-to-limit ratio
The total balance on all your credit cards is relatively low compared to your total available credit limit. This has a positive impact on your credit score.

4. You have two or more major credit cards open
You have at least 2 or more open major credit cards, such as Discover, American Express, VISA, or MasterCard, on your credit report. This often tells lenders that you are a responsible borrower and they may be more likely to see you as a good credit risk and extend you credit.

5. Your have no late payments
Your credit file shows no record of any current delinquencies on real estate accounts, such as a mortgage. Having real estate accounts in good standing is viewed positively by lenders.

6. You have no public records
Your credit report does not contain negative public records, such as a bankruptcy, lien, lawsuit or judgment filed within the last two years. This is having a positive impact on your credit score. Public record items may remain on your credit report for 7 to 15 years, depending on the item.

7. You have a high credit limit
Your average credit limit for your major credit cards, such as Discover, American Express, VISA, or MasterCard, is high. This tells lenders that you have enough financial experience, and they will be more likely to see you as a good credit risk.

Account Types
Real Estate Loans 1
Installment Loans 3
Revolving Credit Accounts 4
Credit Cards 3
Retail Cards 1

Total Accounts 21
Hard Inquiries 1
Public Records 0