Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

How do decide what is your drinking limit when driving?

Old 09-16-2015, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 hyundai Tiburon
Default How do decide what is your drinking limit when driving?

We all know drinking and driving is bad. We've all at some point in our lives had at least one drink, whether it was a beer with friends or a cocktail while out to dinner with your significant other. Someone I know recently got a DUI, so it made me wonder how do you all decide how much is safe to drink when driving. For me usually about 5 or so drinks, about when I start feeling a little light headed, and my brain feels like it slowing down. I also keep a breathalyzer in the car to be safe too.

Some people I know only do 1 drink, others do 2 or 3, and some like me do 4 to 6 drinks. So what is your limit?
Old 09-16-2015, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

On the bike... zero. In the truck, one every 2 hours. I have absolutely NO sympathy for people who get DUI's. The whole, "I wasn't drunk, I was only buzzed" excuse doesn't fly with me. If it were up to me, one DUI would be 30 days and no license for a year. Second would be real prison time.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

^ pretty much this.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:56 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

I'll have 1 drink (2 at the absolute most) when I'm out to dinner if it's a Friday or Saturday night and I dont have to be home for awhile and can just relax when out. During the week, pretty much always zero. Same with when I'm at the clubs. I'll have one beer early in the night when I get there and nothing the rest of the night. If I do end up drinking or taking shots, I never drive. Always have a DD or take a cab.
Old 09-17-2015, 12:39 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I almost always have zero drinks if I'm out, and suggest everyone else does the same. The system is heavily stacked against you when it comes to DUI. Many of the consequences are outside of the courtroom and therefore "innocent until proven guilty" is not applicable. Just getting arrested for DUI whether or not you blew above the legal limit has some very serious consequences through administrative penalties even if there's no way they could ever convict you of DUI.

I have a fuel cell breathalyzer of the same type that local police use in the field. I won't ever drive if it says anything but 0.00. Using that to find what it would take for me to be at the legal limit of 0.08 has been really interesting. I can tell you it varies a lot from day to day, and it has close to nothing to do with how I feel. If I'm extremely dehydrated 2 beers will have me (at almost 300lbs) at the legal limit for a short period of time. Other fluctuations are more difficult to predict but I would say having one beer is safe but 2 can be pushing it in some situations.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:43 AM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

two 5-7% beer or one high-grav, but I have a decent tolerance

Never cocktails because I have nads.

And if I feel like I'm over my limit I'll call the wife or an Uber. I'd rather pick the car up in the morning than lose it in a wreck.
Old 09-18-2015, 01:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Limit for what? Before hitting a kid? Before sh*t gets too fuzzy to see? Or to just pass the Officer's examination?

1 beer, 10, or an ounce is too much in my opinion if you get pulled over. Breathalizers are not accurate, have been known to malfunction. And officer's have been known to give you shitty tests. Your life is at risk when you have one drop and the officer suspects you. That's the reason why you should have a lawyers number handy if you get pulled over for suspicion.

Stocker probably knows what I'm talking about. Call the DWI Dude!!! Jamie Balagia is my hero! lol

I'm not saying I don't drink, or have a few before driving. Just saying that there's a risk no matter how much you drink and get into the car.
Old 09-18-2015, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Originally Posted by Tibbi
two 5-7% beer or one high-grav, but I have a decent tolerance

Something to keep in mind... "Tolerance" is how well you compensate for being drunk. It has zero to do with your BAC. I usually can drink 3 Sam Adams in an hour and not even really be buzzed. A cop buddy of mine had me do a breathalyzer just as an experiment one day and I blew .10. This is why I limit myself to one every 2 hours now. This is also why hardcore alcoholics can blow .25 to .30 and still be conscious. Most people would be comatose that high.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:42 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

The aforementioned limit is, am I now a danger to myself and my vehicle?

If there is any hazard to either or even the possibility of driving impairment then I'd sooner pay the few bucks to get home in one piece. I get the part about kids, but in my commute it's less children and more a question of: can I react if an animal runs out in front of the vehicle? If the answer to that is questionable then someone else can take the wheel.

To be fair if I were a reckless drunk then I'd pretty hard to maintain a multiple cars for more than a decade, especially living in an area with a high concentration of wildlife.

As for the Breathalyzer, that's only a problem if your driving in a way that exhibits impairment. A full meal and 2 drinks may register, but it's not enough to cause any difference in my personal ability to drive. And if that were the case, as stated before