Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

How cold is cold?

Old 02-12-2003, 02:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How cold is cold?

Big_Al in this thread :
ok here is the deal. past few weeks its been really really cold(around -5 C).
I'm sorry, but -5 celcius really really cold? That's still shorts weather for me. I'll say really really cold if it's -15 with a wind-chill putting it near -40. (although I'd likely still wear shorts damnit!)
Old 02-12-2003, 03:06 AM

-5 C BAH!!!
@-15 C I find my car runs NICE! With the CAI. But anything lower than that and it doesn't like it. The car bitches at me and ratles and such.

Once again -5!!! BAH!
Panzy asses! lol
It's been atleast -18 C and it goes lower over night. With -28ish or so and then you factor in windchill and it's like -friggin 39!

-5 BAH! moon wink
Old 02-12-2003, 03:07 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

I used to live in Minnesota.
It's not cold till it's -20F or -29C.
Old 02-12-2003, 03:15 AM
Al

i meant in my area not cold in general.......usually it does not get below freezing
$hit i am not that big of a wuss
Old 02-12-2003, 04:01 AM

I remember cold. Vaqguely. When I lived back east anything below -10 or -15 Celsius was cold.

Now I live in Lotus Land (a.k.a. Vancouver Island). This is the only place I've lived where the grass is green in winter and brown in summer My winter tires are rain tires, not snow tires. Cold here is anything below + 10 Celsius tongue.gif
Old 02-12-2003, 04:04 AM

Vehicle: 2005 MINI Cooper S

You guys are insane. Being from the south, anything below 40 is COLD. Go ahead and talk becuase you could never survive our summer.
Old 02-12-2003, 04:08 AM

Orca:
I remember cold. Vaqguely. When I lived back east anything below -10 or -15 Celsius was cold.

Now I live in Lotus Land (a.k.a. Vancouver Island). This is the only place I've lived where the grass is green in winter and brown in summer My winter tires are rain tires, not snow tires. Cold here is anything below + 10 Celsius :p
Damn you west coast people! wink tongue.gif
Can I join ya lol
If I had the cash I'd definetly move west, actually a year a go this time I was in Vancouver and Vancouver Island for a Month.
While on the Island, I skiied (Mt. washington) golfed, AND Sailed all in 4 days!
God I miss that!
Old 02-12-2003, 04:10 AM

It's not cold until it goes under -30C... without the wind.

Where I come from, schools almost never close. You need at least 20cm of snow in one night to close them...
Old 02-12-2003, 04:29 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Ya'll are panzies.

Imagine sleeping on the open ground in just a sleeping bag at -49.

BLOW ME...

LOL

Gotta love the US Army. Nothing like having the vapor from your breath freeze on the inside of your sleeping bag.
Old 02-12-2003, 04:50 AM

Zaibatsu JVX:
You guys are insane. Being from the south, anything below 40 is COLD. Go ahead and talk becuase you could never survive our summer.
Our summers only hit 40 C, and I can't stand that! Actually, can't stand 25 C.

REDZMAN:
Ya'll are panzies.

Imagine sleeping on the open ground in just a sleeping bag at -49.

BLOW ME...

LOL

Gotta love the US Army. Nothing like having the vapor from your breath freeze on the inside of your sleeping bag.
Don't reckon I've ever been accused of being a panzy with regard to cold smile.gif

I wear shorts year-round. I own one pair of pants used only when investors come to my workplace and one pair for hiking (thorns ya know). I got married in shorts (actually custom cut-off tuxedo pants).

I own 2 pairs of sandles and 1 pair of hiking boots. nothing else. My wife has taken pictures the few times in my life i've worn socks.

I've had to shovel the driveway two days in a row, and will have to do so again in the morning (since it's snowed 6 inches in the last half hour, and no signs of letting up) and do so in shorts and sandles (although they are my winter sandles!).

I have a 12" fan that aims at my side of the bed that has been running continuously (except when we move from one place to another) since I bought it in 1998 when I fried the last fan. I also own a 24" window fan, and two 6" fans (for travelling) for the summer.

At work they call me the temperature nazi. Regularly accused of switching the AC on throughout the winter, and having it set to 16C during the summer.

When I used to go on winter weekend training for search and rescue I indeed did experience my breath vapor freezing on the inside of my blanket roll. Although I doubt it ever reached -49, we're not that lucky smile.gif

[ February 12, 2003, 12:36 PM: Message edited by: Random ]