Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

House Votes to Fine($75) People Going Slow in the Left Lane

Old 03-23-2010, 08:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 97 Tib - REVISION A
Default House Votes to Fine($75) People Going Slow in the Left Lane

Legislation to fine poky lane hogs is speeding along with a push from the Georgia House Monday after quick debate.
The House voted 129-29 to pass and send to the Senate a bill that would set a minimum fine of $75 for any motorist driving less than the speed limit in the left lane who refuses to pull to the right when a faster vehicle approaches.

State Rep. Mark Butler, R-Carrollton, said he introduced House Bill 1047 to smooth the flow of traffic and address a common frustration.

http://www.times-herald.com/Local/House-vo...+Top+Stories%29
Old 03-23-2010, 08:34 AM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

As much as I love this bill and would vote for it myself, it doesn't make sense. The speed LIMIT is the UPPER LIMIT that you're legally allowed.

I don't care if you're a single occupant in the HOV lane during HOV hours... as long as you aren't going slower than me. I use the HOV lane (legally) every morning and afternoon, and I hate when they're going 50 in a 70 for no dern reason. In Tennessee, the interstates are already jammed and the HOV lane isn't really enforced... and even when it is, I'm told it's a $15 ticket. People will gladly pay $15 every 2 or 3 years that they're caught if it'll get 'em to work earlier.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I agree. Doesn't make sense to say that you'll get fined for not exceeding the speed limit, but I would be glad they made it the law.

I've always thought that the thing to do is raise the speed limit by 5 or 10mph everywhere and make it a firm cap, so that 1mph over the speed limit is a ticketable offense.