Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Home Stereo System

Old 04-17-2006, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 05 Subaru WRX

REDZ DON'T BUY ONE OF THOSE PACKAGE DEALS!!!! We can go look at stereo stuff this weekend if you want. tdonnell sounds like he knows what he is talking about. you can piece together something to meet your standerds for around $1000... $600 is pushing it, but we might be able to do it. give me a call and we can hang out and go shop this weekend.

as far as wireless rears dont do it!!! you will never get them to be as clear as a hard wired speaker.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:27 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

But it's what I want!!! LOL

Seriously, I hate running those damed wires.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:29 PM

Vehicle: 05 Subaru WRX

get me a bottle of soju and i will run your wires so as not to be seen.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:11 PM

Vehicle: Honda

I swear just run the damned wires. You're spending money on something that makes your speakers sound WORSE.

And go buy speakers and a reciever separate.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:16 PM

Nope.

I'm going wireless, at least till I get my own house. I am NOT RUNNING f***ING WIRES IN THIS RENTAL HOUSE!! THE PROPERTY MANAGEMENT ARE ASSHOLES!
Old 04-18-2006, 12:58 PM

If you read reviews on even high end wireless setups, you'll see the consensus is that wireless really sounds terrible. I think you'd be better off just getting a good center speaker, front left and right, and a sub, and buy wired rears at a future date. So if you still want wireless, remove the word "good" from "good sounding system" in your first post. wink1.gif

What I did with my wires was simply to buy a strip of plastic edging material, run my wires on top of the wall's base molding, and then place that strip over them. You don't notice it at all, and no modification other than some easy to remove dabs with a glue gun.

5.1 is all you need, just make sure your receiver supports discreet 5.1 such as DTS, and not just matrixed crap. I wouldn't bother with THX support at all, or any 6.1/7.1+ audio support, as so few DVDs have such audio tracks available, and the few that do aren't usually discreet anyway.

Start buying the special editions of DVDs which have DTS tracks, or 5.1 AC3 at the least. You won't want to play anything else once you get a system. cool.gif
Old 04-18-2006, 01:00 PM

I'm thinking I'm going to get the speakers and reciever, and one of those wireless adapter setups, and then I can run it with the wires when I move.

I don't know how much clearer I can say it, but I'm not running wires.

LOL

Any suggestions on speakers?
Old 04-18-2006, 01:15 PM

Then don't waste money on rears at all, because you certainly don't have the budget for a wireless setup that will sound as good as the other speakers. Sony has the only wireless system I would like to try myself, infrared transmission. I haven't seen any seperate addons for that yet, AFAIK it's only available through their box systems.

You can still thoroughly enjoy movies without them even when using the 5.1 tracks, and that will give you more money to put into a good center channel speaker, which is definitely the most important speaker. 99% of dialogue is through it. And you will still experience the surround effect with front left and right speakers. You just won't feel like you're in the middle of it.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:27 PM

I've got the budget for it, I found one by Kenwood for like $150. The Samsung setup I tried out sounded VERY good, no hissing, no static, sounded like it was wired to me.

I've got my current system setup without the rears, I know it still sounds good, but I want full surround, and GOOD.

If I don't get any actual advise for some speakers that I'd actually want soon, I'll just go look at Circuit City and BB I guess.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:42 PM

Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Tiburon FX

For the most part, any reciever that can do 7.1 surround can do 5.1, so you don't have to worry about that problem.

I'm not really sure about the wireless setup possibilities as I have never looked into it. But I would think if you could find it, it would either be crappy quality at a low price, or way too damn expensive, lol. You are crackin me up with your stubborness about the wireless man!!! lmao.gif lmao.gif lmao.gif . But hey, it's your money and your setup, so you have the right to do what you want. Although I too ran my wires up the wall and you don't even notice them, but it would all depend on the color/setup of your room.

I am telling you what, if you go to BB, check out KLIPSCH: www.klipsch.com I have their older flagship setup and boy do I love them:

http://www.klipsch.com/media/Photos/RF7_life2_large.jpg

The sound is so crisp and real you won't believe it. But I have heard that you either love them or hate them so... BB sells some cheaper models of klipsch, although I haven't really looked at the prices, you should be able to set something up decent for under 1000. wink1.gif