Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Home Stereo System

Old 04-16-2006, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Okay guys, I need some advise. I'd like to stay at $600 or under, but I need a good stereo system for the house. I don't need a DVD player or anything, I got the Xbox 360 for that now. I want something I can have full digital surround on, 5.1 is fine for me.

Here's what I'm looking for.

1. 600 bucks or under.
2. Needs to be XM ready.
3. Needs to have plenty of inputs, video and audio.
4. Needs to upconvert or otherwise have 2 or 3 outputs for composite cables.
5. I'd PREFER one that has a HD cable connection, what's it called? HDMI or something? I'm getting a flatscreen or DLP soon.
6. Wireless rear speakers.

I want to be able to hook everything up to it, and have it all go to my TV. I want GOOD sound, and I want very good surround setup. I play lots of Xbox 360 games and really want a better sound experience. Same with movies.

Any advise?
Old 04-16-2006, 06:05 PM

ebay?
Old 04-16-2006, 06:08 PM

I should ban your ass for the day.

Okay, let me be specific.

ANY ADVISE ON A BRAND/MODEL I SHOULD LOOK AT????

I wouldn't put in all that info if I was going to be shopping for it at ebay.
Old 04-16-2006, 06:11 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Turbulence

$600? Mang, you sure know how to ruin a party. 02.gif

Nuance system! All the way!
Old 04-16-2006, 06:16 PM

Why, is that too little? I don't really wanna spend more than that on one.

Where can I find info about the one you said?
Old 04-16-2006, 06:27 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Turbulence

I've been trying to find info on Nuance for the last 15 minutes. *laughs*
Wierd... I must be old-school... I can't find any articles or reviews that are less than a year old for them. o.O

Maybe they're not cool anymore. S'okay, I think they only made speakers anyway, so it wouldn't be a full stereo system with a receiver/amp and whatnot.
Old 04-16-2006, 06:29 PM

Yup, that's it. I read that they got sued in 2004 and are out of business. Way to go joe.

LOL
Old 04-16-2006, 06:41 PM

Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Tiburon FX

Honestly redz, finding what you want for under 600 bucks would be very hard to do brand new.

I really don't have much experience with lower-end systems like the ones sold at best buy and such (what I think you are getting at), but I have a great deal of experience with individual component setups.

It is kind of sad but my home surround sound setup cost a good deal more than my tib (and my tib was 5000), LOL.

Dude, I would HIGHLY recommend you get individual components. If you do it this way, you will have unlimitied options.

I doubt that any wireless speaker will sound very good, not to mention the possibility for interference.

You would need to go and get a reciever, some speaker cable (I have a 100' spool of brand new THX monster cable if you want it - PM me if you are interested), a pair of mains (the two big stereo speakers up front), a center, and the surrounds. Oh and may I say that a nice subwoofer would KICK ASS?!

The best part about doing it this way is that you can take your time and build it peice by peice. Just get the reciever and the main channel speakers, then as you get more money, buy the others.

You can probably pick up a decent surround sound reciever for around 300-400 bucks. Check out circuit city and tweeter for their 'used' components to try and find some deals. All of your input/output wants would definately be taken care of here.

As for the speakers, the mains will be the most expensive, but the best part is you can pick your price range, and you can pick speakers that sound good to you - not hope for something good as you open the box.

Sorry for such a long post, but there is just so much info. If you are at all interested in this method (trust me, you will be happier), please let me know. wink1.gif
Old 04-16-2006, 06:42 PM

whoa didn't expect that response lol my friend just bought one for 450 a JVC everything you need in the box set up... it works and gets the job done but you can tell he didn't spend too much for high quality, like tdonnell suggested in getting the individual components which is a much better deal
Old 04-16-2006, 06:46 PM

Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Tiburon FX

Everyone's standards are different. It all depends what you want. No offense but if you were to listen to my stereo and then to his, you would know the difference between high quality and a package deal. Don't get me wrong though, I am sure that your friends system sounds good, and the best of luck to him with it. smile.gif

Yeah, that post was a little long, LOL lmao.gif