Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Home electrical question

Old 03-11-2010, 08:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon
Default Home electrical question

Hey guys, i had to run a new hot and neutral wire from my place out to the detached garage (about 65') cuz the wires were old and i had installed a garage door opener. I pulled 12awg through in place of the 14awg since it seemed kinda far and i know the longer the wire, the bigger it should be...

Here's my situation: Because the wires i replaced originally powered a small light fixture in the garage, there was no ground wire that was ran through the conduit. The garage door opener uses a ground and i read that in the days of conduit, the conduit was used in place of the green ground wire. If i attach a ground wire from the socket to the metal junction box, will I be ok or does a ground wire need to be ran from the garage to the main electrical box?
Old 03-11-2010, 11:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 02 Hyundai Accent

If the conduit is grounded then u should be fine doing what u have planned. If not you could always slam a grounding rod in the ground next to your garage an run your ground from there rather then pulling another wire 65 feet.