Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Hid Electical Issues

Old 01-14-2007, 07:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well as they say its Always Something..

All four of our vehicles now have HID kits installed yet still some issues.

My tib - Had 1 bad ballast on lows, issued fixed and no more arising problems. Fogs work perfect not one problem at all.
2000 Ranger - Works perfect
Now the fun stuff
2002 Explorer Sport-trac - Turn on/off just fine.. except during engine start up. During start-up sometimes the right light will not turn on, simple fix is to turn off lights then back on and it comes up. happens about 15% of the time. Any suggestions?
2006 PT Cruiser GT - Car off - 100% not a problem in the world. Turn the vehicle on however nothing... Totally lost on this issue, Father installed this set but I think he can handle it after being a mechanical engineer for the last 38years and he cannot figure it out aswell. Last I spoke tooked amp/volt readings off/on/during startup and nothing out of the ordinary.

-Yes checked all fuses/upgraded the needed ones etc. Will sent pm to Uneek to try to assist aswell just figured -I would post since omw out the door atm.
Anyways any ideas? Out of town to ski for the day so ill be able to check later this evening.
Thanks again for your help.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:41 AM

try to add extra ground to the ballast unit.

mine was not on whenever I turn on the headlight like 15% of the time, but after I gound the ballast, it is now 100% on everytime~!
Old 01-14-2007, 02:33 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

skiing, there's snow? haha

try grounding. what kind of HID's are they, where did you get them from? H3's should already be grounded. try checking the connection make sure you didn't reverse it. i'd get that happening to me when i reversed one of the - + to + - when it should have been - + - + for both sides.

please update your location!
Old 01-15-2007, 11:53 AM

Na HKC, went up to Mount High in CA to do some damage.

HID's from Uneek, yes ground is good on vehicle will add another though.

Will be back in phoenix later this evening and re-check everything.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:32 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

if the HID kits are the same, I would suggest swapping ballasts to see if the problem still exists. Swap from working car to non-working if possible, but I wouldn't start swapping brands
Old 01-15-2007, 06:20 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Please update your profile to add your location and year of car.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:28 PM

Updated profile tongue.gif

--Update--
Guys were not reading the initial thread in regards to the PT, the lights worked FINE when engine off, with engine on they refused to light up. Back in town this morning volt tested everything, its over 15v with engine on.
Anyways - Installed a relay kit and it works perfect now! haha.gif We are guessing that the computer was not allowing the HIDs to run when the vehicle was running due to the amps they are pulling. Problem fixed so I'm happy

BTW - skiing was awsome! spent alot of time on my ass though lmao.gif Perfect weather though, 30 was the high averaged 20ish and no wind.