Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Here's a jug of neurotoxin...what to do with it...OH I KNOW!!!

Old 09-01-2010, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2007 Accent
Default Here's a jug of neurotoxin...what to do with it...OH I KNOW!!!

I'll give it to the neighborhood kids to play with it:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/broward/m...0,1467096.story

Officials on Wednesday afternoon plan to start cleaning up mercury that a Margate man spilled on his driveway over the weekend and that neighborhood kids played with, police said.

Margate police and firefighters, as well as the state Department of Environmental Protection, have been warding off people from the spill site, in the 7800 block of Northwest Third Place, since a neighbor reported the hazardous area Monday afternoon.

Officials have spent the past two days scouring the neighborhood for additional mercury and planning the cleanup. Margate Police Detective Efrain Suarez said "all the people coordinating the cleanup" again met Wednesday morning, reviewing a plan to remove contamination.
The Margate resident who police said spilled the mercury, Hubert Jean, said he didn't know the silvery liquid was a toxin that can cause central nervous system problems.

"I didn't know what it was," he told the Sun Sentinel on Tuesday afternoon.

He said he and his girlfriend were cleaning out his garage on Saturday, getting ready to move, when he came across a silvery liquid he'd never seen before. Apparently the previous owner had left the mercury in the garage.

Jean said he gave a small canister of the liquid to one teen and several of the teen's friends soon visited him, asking for more mercury. Police on Monday came to Jean with complaints that kids were playing with the mercury.

On Tuesday, a group of five neighborhood kids, ages 11 to 15, said they had played with the liquid, which they found fascinating to look at and hold.

"We were just looking at it. We were touching it," said Daniel Aiello, 15. "It was just like a ball of silver."
Michael Jacinthe, 11, said he didn't think Jean, a friendly guy, intended to harm anyone.

"I feel bad for him," he said. "He just found it and said, 'Do you want to see it?' And me and my brother said, 'Yeah.' "
Suarez said all the teens appeared to be "doing fine." Jean said he and his girlfriend also touched the mercury but were OK.
It will be up to state or federal environmental officials to decide if Jean is cited or fined, Suarez said.

Are people really this friggen stupid? BangHead.gif headshake.gif fp.gif
Old 09-01-2010, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Government school, 'nuff said.

On the positive side, liquid mercury like we all used to play with as kids is not as toxic or readily absorbed through the skin as many people fear, and it evaporates VERY slowly. Shutting down the block for this, or evacuating/locking down a school for one busted thermometer is an extreme over-reaction. You get an eyedropper and an adsorbing sponge and gloves, and soak it up. Done.

Now there ARE different kinds of mercury that will kill you dead but easy. A proffesseuse was dead from a rotten brain 6 months after 1 drop of (I forget what type) mercury got on her latex glove, went through it, went through her nerves, and ate her brain. Ugh.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 02 Hyundai Accent

Dont worry kiddo's its safe, it must be since they put mercury in are vaccines
Old 09-02-2010, 04:44 PM
DTN

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I don't know of any vaccines with mercury. Mercury thermometers are banned in all hospitals and against federal regulations. All mercury must be treated as a extremely hazardous material. If mercury is placed into a federal toilet, the bathroom will be quarantined and noone is to enter without proper protective equipment to keep it from splattering during removal. I've seen it happen before.

It's that serious.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

The (government over-)reaction is that serious. The hazard is not.

Mercury is out of vaccines in the US. It's still 50% of your "silver" dental fillings, though, and is DOES leak out of them. Fortunately, when you DO ingest elemental mercury, you can metabolize something like a small drop of it, per day, without major ill effect. Still you don't want to sprinkle the stuff on your corn flakes.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: '97 X3

as has been said....mercury in pure form is not as hazardous as everyone is meant to believe

back in the 1700's (??? i think, cant quite remember) the german alchemists were going thru mercury like it was outa fashion
they were running low, but italy had large amounts....so the germans would SWALLOW large amounts of mercury in italy, cross the border and then tip themselves upside down and throw back up the mercury
the italians got onto it, and when germans would cross the border back into germany, they would be made to jump down off a table of sorts....the landing would disrupt the ball of mercury in the stomach and splatter it against the stomach walls, eventually killing the carriers at a later date

true story
Old 09-04-2010, 10:38 AM

They put mercury in vaccines, hell the corprate news will even tell ya its good for you...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZArebYZzdc
Old 09-04-2010, 10:41 AM

Course you can always get your mercuray needs from a can of tuna, Genetically modified foods, floridated water, deadly vaccines, chemtrails and so much more... the depopulation agenda is in full force.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:41 PM
Super Moderator

IMO it's less that, than misguided good intentions. Something about a paved road and good intentions. Oh, and my neighbors on both sides have had cancer, and my dad, and my mom, and my grandfather, but it's not environment or nutrition related. Just a mystery. sad.gif