Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

help with a project

Old 02-22-2003, 04:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with a project

ok, for my econometrics (economy forcasting using statistics) class, i'm doing a project where i'm testing whether or not american cars are more or less fuel efficient per liter of engine displacement. i would like to pick a class of cars, say sport compact, from america, germany, france, italy, uk, korea, and japan. the only problem is, i need AT LEAST 50 data points. so if i 10 cars, i'd need at least 5 variable to test. so far, i have weight, transmission (auto/manual), displacement as variables. i'm thinking i'd like to include the drag coefficient, but i dont' know where i'd get all those data. my teacher mentioned maybe using price as a variable, and see whether or not you pay for fuel efficiency, or lack there of. i'm looking for suggestions on variables to test and where i might obtain the data. i'm thinking i could probably get most of it from edmunds, j.d. power, motortrend, car and driver, etc... any help would be greatly appreciated. to give you an idea of how i'll test this, i'm probably going to test the covariance, which is whether or not the variables move inversely in relation to each other.
Old 02-22-2003, 06:52 AM

turbulence:
ok, for my econometrics (economy forcasting using statistics) class, i'm doing a project where i'm testing whether or not american cars are more or less fuel efficient per liter of engine displacement. i would like to pick a class of cars, say sport compact, from america, germany, france, italy, uk, korea, and japan. the only problem is, i need AT LEAST 50 data points. so if i 10 cars, i'd need at least 5 variable to test. so far, i have weight, transmission (auto/manual), displacement as variables. i'm thinking i'd like to include the drag coefficient, but i dont' know where i'd get all those data. my teacher mentioned maybe using price as a variable, and see whether or not you pay for fuel efficiency, or lack there of. i'm looking for suggestions on variables to test and where i might obtain the data. i'm thinking i could probably get most of it from edmunds, j.d. power, motortrend, car and driver, etc... any help would be greatly appreciated. to give you an idea of how i'll test this, i'm probably going to test the covariance, which is whether or not the variables move inversely in relation to each other.
www.carpoint.com
Old 02-22-2003, 08:09 AM

thanks for the link, but i'm also looking for some ideas for variables i could include. also, not many sites list the drag coefficient as a spec for cars. for that data, i figured i might actually have to contact the auto manufacturers individually, or maybe even someone at motortrend or another magazine would have that data.
Old 02-22-2003, 06:26 PM

turbulence:
thanks for the link, but i'm also looking for some ideas for variables i could include. also, not many sites list the drag coefficient as a spec for cars. for that data, i figured i might actually have to contact the auto manufacturers individually, or maybe even someone at motortrend or another magazine would have that data.
I can't remember, but CD is usually included in the specifications on new car tests. As for your data points, at 10 per car, jeez... take them all. You'll need to figure frontal area out on your own though, that's important.

engine displacement/configuration
horsepower/torque (can of worms, these aren't linear *at all*)
weight
frontal area/CD (these are tied)
tire size
gear ratios

those are what's going to be most important for mileage. And you might want to figure for personal mileage instead... interesting things show up there, like a chevy suburban being a more efficient people hauler than say, a honda accord(8*17 versus 4*30)
Old 02-22-2003, 09:57 PM

1. could try auto mfr. websites (the usa website)

mazda protege CD....0.32

http://www1.mazdausa.com/protege/specs/def...=&did=&state=#5

2. pick the cars you're interested in, and ask on their message boards in off topic. i'd think you'll get all the data you need:

minis www.mini2.com

focus www.focaljet.com

protege www.protegemp3.com

www.protegeclub.com

nissan http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/ub...hreads.php?Cat=

honda, toyota, volks, etc message boards ??????

3. i guess you'd have to get the USA specs of the foreign cars to keep it a fair comparison. are there any french or italian nonexotics currently imported to north america? it might be hard to classify the country of origin of some cars. i think the mini has a brazil engine.

4. variables.....maybe emissions compliance status (LEV, ULEV etc)

good luck

BTW, there's some OEM addys here:

http://www.nology.com/coollinks.html

[ February 23, 2003, 12:30 PM: Message edited by: 99mini ]
Old 02-23-2003, 03:15 AM

thanks, guys. some good info. smile.gif