Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Help

Old 04-12-2005, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon

hey i am 6'1'' and weigh 225lbs, i am trying to get back to 190 but ever since my surgery my weight has balloned oughta control. it's like i cant stop it no matter what i do. i've been to the gym, but i cant lift anything yet so i run and do leg lifts, when i am not at the gym i am either at work, the ice rink doing laps, or at home working on the tib. dieting hasnt helped me anone got ANY suggestions, i hate this but i really need help
Old 04-12-2005, 10:01 AM

What kind of surgery did you have? Are you on any meds now? There are a lot of different weight loss pills but 90+% of them you cant take when on other stuff. I am 6' and weight about 170lbs.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:02 AM

complete shoulder reconstuctive, replaced tendons ligaments and cartiledge, just got off meds not to long ago, was taking demerol and percacet
Old 04-12-2005, 10:06 AM

Wow thats pretty hard core. Atleast you are trying to get back in shape with the few parts you can. Thats more than a lot of us can say. Most of the OTC drugs for weight loss do one thing. Raise your matabolism. Just be careful when on the stuff not to eat too much heavy sugar cause it will make your system go crazy.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:14 AM

thx ah waht brand would you personally recommend
Old 04-12-2005, 11:07 AM

Since your muscles and body are healing I would suggest low resistance workouts that won't cause any strenuous activity. For low resistance I would use stretch bands as they won't cause any jerking motions and it will help you retrain your muscles. Also since a good amount of weight lifting is out because of your situation lots of cardio exercise will help you lose excess weight. However that also depends on your range of motion but if your able to walk/jog or run then you should be alright. You need to find your target heart rate and stay in the zone for at least 20 minutes for a proper calorie burning workout. If you have any more questions just let me know.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:09 PM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

Try Chinease Traditional Medicine and Taichi.

Chinease Traditional Medicine - is exlcelent, but you need to find real good doctor who knows very good accupuncture, herbs, chiniese philosophy.

Taichi - is a Chinease martial art. It concerned with energy. Great stuff, but again you need to find really good trainair (master) who will know philosophy, and energetical aspects. And remember good trainer will never tell you that he is good at it.

I tried Chinease Medicing
And I do Taichi.
Old 04-12-2005, 03:10 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

I know how you feel man, ever since the first knee surgury in 97, it's hard to keep the weight off.

Best you can do is watch your calories. If you can't exercise much, then watch your intake. Don't skip meals or starve yourself, but make sure you eat healthier meals, more often, and smaller. 5 to 6 times a day you should eat something. It's a fact.

Do what you can. If all you can do is some leg lifts or some sort of retarded exercise, do it. Anything you can do to even slightly increase your bodies calorie burning will help. Do more as you can, but don't over do it. I've seen WAY to many folks get reinjured by doing too much too soon.

Diet. Belive it or not, lots of the healthy foods out there are getting better. If you like the taste or not, start drinking diet sodas. You'll get used to it in about 2 to 3 weeks. Start eating more fat free foods. Try the Atkins if you want, but in New Mexico, you got's to eat Carbs. lol.gif ninja.gif Eat bigger portions of veggies and cut down on the overall amount of food you cook. Tendancies are to EAT WHAT YOU COOK, so cook a bit less.

Eat slower. Big one here. Let your body let you know it's full. Don't eat to BULGING BELLY full. Last tip. Drink a large glass of water when you are hungry. Not only will this help you stay healthier (80% of the people in the world drink less than 50% of the water they should a day), it will keep your complexion clean and help your body heal quicker. I tell my wife all the time. WATER! It's very important.

Self Confidence. Sitting around sad because you got fat doesn't help anything. You'll eat more and do less. It's a pandora's box. Get out and walk. Take the dog out for a longer walk then you usually do. Walk a bit further every day. Shave your face, keep your haircut, and shower regularly. You'll find that the better you take care of yourself, the more you CARE for yourself.

Let me know if it helps mang. I got severely depressed in 97 after my first surgury and turned into a smoking alcoholic binge drinker. Took me 2 years to straighten up and see that stuff wasn't so bad.

If I can do it. You can.

Be positive. And you can do anything.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:56 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

dont stop the jogging buddy. i found that the jogging actually makes me want to eat healthier, cause i definately dont want to eat a big sub then jog later and puke it up everywhere. even after i jog, i dont want to eat unhealthy foods. makes me feel that i would just be wasting the good from the jog.

buy a heart rate monitor off ebay. i have a timex one, works great. its one with the chest transmitter(strap it around your chest). it sends your heart rate to a watch on your arm. with your age, you can determine what % of your maximum heart rate corresponds to your heart rate. generally, 50-70 % is aerobic(best way to burn fat). and above 70% is anearobic(best way to build muscle). i jogged every day for two months during the fall last year, and i felt great. it got boring though. i just started jogging everyonce and a while a week ago, and suprisingly i didnt loose to much. ran with a heart rate of about 175 the whole time, which is about 80% MHR.

at the end of my jog though, i do a (close to)80 yard dash. heart rate got up to 193. thats more than three beats a second. frieked me out when i figured that number out.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:07 PM

Like REDZ said...water, water, water...so many people don't get enough of it and it's so necessary to keeping you healthy and your body working properly. If you can stand it, you should try to eliminate soda entirely from your diet...it helps a lot more than you think because you're also cutting out caffeine which makes your body work that extra bit harder on its' own that the caffeine is usually giving you the boost to do. Also, when you do your cardio, try to change what you do. A big mistake people make when going to the gym or excercising is that they do the exact same thing every time they work out. By changing the range of motion from doing excercises differently or working muscles in a different way, you're forcing your muscles to work entirely, not just a small part. Just as an example, a lot of people do a lot of bench press in the weight room, can bench a relatively high weight, but their chest doesn't look like the guys on tv haha. That's because your chest has 3 different muscles in itself that need to be worked equally to get that toning. Same thing goes for any other part of your body, and when you change what you're doing, you're using a different part of your body. Heck, throw some 5 pound ankle weights on when you go for a run to add that extra bit in.