Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Hello my name is David, and I was born yesterday

Old 08-24-2010, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra
Default Hello my name is David, and I was born yesterday

so little bit of background

had a guy call via the tdy relay(basically you type in a message and a rep of a company will speak it to you, deaf customers use it all the time)
after being on the phone with this system for a good hour and a half trying to do my job and help a customer, i decide to save everyone some time and just give him my work email so we can communicate that way. he give me the email address and tells me the vehicle is getting towed from COLORADO to NORTH DAKOTA where i am

emails are as followed

Subject: confirmation of email address for service work
To: brownhope101@yahoo.com
Date: Tuesday, August 24, 2010, 5:39 PM

Hello Mr. Brown,

My name is David I will be your service writer when your vehicle arrives here. I received a vin of XXXXXXXXXX628904 for your Sebring per our conversation. I can be reached for any further questions here at this email address and I will assist you in any way possible.

Thank you,

David

Sent: Tuesday, August 24, 2010 1:08 PM
To: David
Subject: Re: confirmation of email address for service work

This is MR Brown that called you on relay call about the ac repair of my car now Hello ,This is again as per we conservation on realy call .Ok I will give you my credit card now to put through for $3,500 so that you can keep $1000 as deposit for the JEEP repair pending your estimation ...and you will proceed to send the remaining $2,500 through western union Money
Transfer to the towing company head offcice,i could have paid the tow guy but i want you to do this for me due to I AM IN THE HOSPITAL I WAS DOWN WITH A DIAGNOSIS OF CANCER OF THE LUNGS;AS SUCH I HAD TO SPEND SOMETIME IN THE INTENSIVE CARE that why i want you to help me CHARGE My card for the cost
of deposit and the towing co charge that will tow the vehicle to your
workshop as a personal favor because I need the car to be ready for pickup by the time i leave the hospital,are you ready for my credit card now and i want to know the types of credit card that you accept .hope to hear from you
as soon as possible and also i will like u to email me your full address and phone as well i will wait for ur reply

Thanks Brown Hopewell

at this point i know its obviously a scam, so i take the vin he gives me and run it. i get all of the info (i do work for a dealer..that info is easy for me) and find out that the vin he gave me is IN STOCK at a dealer in MANHATTAN. i called the dealer and he said "yeah i have it here, its been in stock for 3 months now i cant sell it"

so its obviously a scam and i know it

so i sent him this email to see if i can f*ck with him a little

Where exactly is the vehicle being towed from sir? When can I expect it to be here? Luckily I have a person here at work who can communicate to you via sign language! I hope your health is gaining. We pray to big baby jebus for a speedy recovery so we can repair Chrysler Dodge Jeep Sebring convertible.

Sincerely

Taco McNachoson

i wonder if he will reply
Old 08-24-2010, 07:05 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

roflmao - keep us updated
Old 08-24-2010, 07:40 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Hrm... I'm trying to figure out the scam. He's offering his credit card for your name and e-mail address to tow a car which is in a different location then specified and does not belong to him. There must be something going on here. I can't quite understand what it is though. The motive is not clear.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:04 PM

dont forget the fact that he doesnt know what kind of vehicle he owns

on the phone it was a truck

in the email its a jeep

and the vin is a sebring

what ever his motives are

i should definately take that 1000 bux and run with it
Old 08-24-2010, 08:52 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

guys, it's simple. He has a stolen cc number, if he can get you to charge 3500 to it and send him a 2500 money order probably to a po box or something (you keep 1000 for a deposit to get started in the jeep sebring...). Then he gets 2500 and is gone. Then your going to have someone coming back on you for 3500 on their card they didn't authorize.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:58 PM

lol

obvious cow is obvious
Old 08-24-2010, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

. . . and when I called the police to report an obvious attempt at fraud the told me . . .
Old 08-24-2010, 09:02 PM

huh? what are you saying faith? anyways I was mainly replying to dtn who didn't seem to be following.

anyways halarious response. I usually just send some reply along the lines of "hey jerk, try your scam somewhere else" but yours is a lot better.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:04 PM

oh sure im definitely sure the cops are gonna investigate the fact that i dont have a exact phone number for said fraudster

and i can almost guarantee the email address is linked to someone in nigeria

they will get RIGHT ON IT to find out who did it
Old 08-24-2010, 09:07 PM

yeah, no reason to bother with cops, they don't have time to track down every one of these guys, they'd have no time for anything else if they tried. same thing with spammers, ddos attackers, people to write viruses/spyware/malware/botnet software.