Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Healthy/bad Foods - Fitness Tips

Old 01-25-2007, 11:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So i'm tryin to watch what i eat cause i know along with strength, cardio and fitness training, what you eat is also important to gain results. The only thing is i have no clue where to start. When i make food i have no idea if its high in calories and so on unless its in just a package and has the label on it.
Please post if you guys know what type of foods to stay away from what are high in calories, whats good in protein, what other things i should look for in foods, eating habits and so on. Anything that would help me to decide what to eat so i can make an educated choice when eating.

calling out all fitness guru's!
Old 01-26-2007, 05:10 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

(calories)

Whey protein powder (120 a scoup 23g protein) is great for protein. Try to mix it with skim milk (90) or the non fat yogert (110). So what I do fro breakfast is special K, skim milk and whey protein. I think that meal is about 350 or so, also makes a good snack just in smaller amounts. Lunch try to have one piece of bread with maybe .25 lbs of meat idk the calorie count on that but turkey is pretty good for you so that should be under 500 cals easy. Snacks do maybe like the milk or yougert with whey protein, keep all snack under500 cals. Dinner load the plate with vegitables and have some chicken, vegs are really low in calories and really filling. My dinner plate is usually 1/2 plate veg or more about 2 inches high. I have to get to school but if you want more info Ill be back on tonight.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:50 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

QUOTE (brian01tib @ Jan 26 2007, 06:10 AM)
Whey protein powder (120 a scoup 23g protein) is great for protein. Try to mix it with skim milk (90) or the non fat yogert (110).

I'm mixing Chocolate Whey Protein Powder (same as above) for breakfast with "quick oats" Quaker Oatmeal and skim milk... tastes better than mixing it with water and it fills me up. Usually about 12-16 oz. of milk added with a scoop of protein powder and 3/4 cup of oatmeal.

I'm trying to lose weight (20-30 lbs. would be unbelievable) while keeping my muscle mass. Oatmeal provides you with the fiber and the protein powder gives you the protein to keep you feeling full for a few hours. I'm snacking on raisins and peanuts before or after my lunch shake. I like to eat, so since I drink my breakfast and lunch, I eat a good size healthy-ish dinner. (Chicken is best with usually some type of rice or noodles with steamed broccoli)
Old 01-26-2007, 08:05 AM

Vehicle: 1998 Tiburon

Bro I can help you anyway you need. I going to skool for a personal trainer. A great shake if you chose to use Whey is: peanut butter,milk, banana, chocolate whey, and a wee touch of chocolate syrup.Throw it in the blend and put it back. Very high in protein and great taste (as long as you like the ingredients uh coures).

Make sure though if you are doing a protein diet, that you are getting 30+ minutes/ day of exercise. Also a trmendous protein intake will dehydrate your system, you keep pumping water into yourself.

Things to stay away from is very simple. Easy to eat snacks and microwave dinners are murder! Stay away from high carbohydrate foods. Not all are bad but the simple carbs you get from sugars etc. are waist busters.

Any more questions?
^^ doesnt have to be nightshark only will answer any qustions nutriotion or gym related.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:47 AM

ditto on the whey protein powders...they actually tastes really good.

but stay away from the protein bars. ugh...they are gross.

you can find tons of sites online with nutritional values for just about any food or meal you can think of.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:52 AM

Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Tiburon gt

eat kimche really its so good for you.. and it helps with the movement as well wink1.gif
Old 01-26-2007, 09:06 AM

Correcting a diet is not as difficult as most people make it out to be. In fact, while the protein shakes listed above do indeed give you a big dosage of protein, a well rounded and balanced diet conjoined with a steady exercise regimen is usually more than enough to lose weight, build and tone muscle mass, and improve all body systems.

It really goes back to what you should have learned when you were young. Avoid fats and oils. It's the little things throughout the day that help. Sodas are one of the worst perpetrators of truly empty calories, not to mention they actually delay the "full" sensation from reaching your brain. Salad dressings, desserts, etc. Common sense stuff. Drink more water, if you don't already.

Sources of protein: meat! Nuts also contain high levels of protein, but the majority of proteins in your diet will probably come from meat. Red meat (beef) has been criticize in the past for some negative effects, but as long as you're not eating burgers all day you should be fine. Fish is an excellent source of protein that also contains a few other nutrients not often found in other food (Omega 3 fatty acids, you've probably heard of them). Vegetables are also incredibly necessary; generally the darker green, the better, but do remember to round out veggies. A general rule of thumb is to keep it colorful. Beans, lettuce, spinach, carrots, red peppers, onions, on and on. Make it interesting so you're not bored.

Dieting fads generally have a main point of what they're striving to do, but they mostly are unhealthy to sustain (Adkins) and have serious shortcomings in the long run. The best, most reliable, most efficient way to promote overall wellness is dedication and perseverance to a well balanced diet and exercise schedule. How do I know this? My dad has been the physical fitness director for the state police academy for 16 years. I never stop hearing about this or that or how I should eat better or get more exercise or "Cooper Institute just released a study the other day..."

Enjoy the food, though. That helps more than anything.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:12 AM

ditto on the beans. my housemates got me hooked on edamame. boil em up with some dishes for vinaigrette and soy sauce and you have a great dinner.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:20 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

lmao.gif Excellent Food for Thought Robert!

I also HIGHLY enjoy boiling a dozen eggs at the beginning of the week and eating 2 hard boiled egg whites on the way to work as a little snack every morning. Love me some eggs. fing02.gif Quick and easy to grab on your way out the door
Old 01-26-2007, 02:09 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I think lots of vegetables, fruits (any fruit is good but blueberries for example have tons of antioxidants), protein (chicken and white meats are extremely good), fiber, and vitamins; not just a multivitamin but omega 3's..their found in fish but if you dont like fish, you can take ground flaxseed, its like a supplement.

Also from what I know eating six small meals a day is a real good thing to do. Workout a few times a week, and change up your workout regimen when you start as well. That way you can challenge your body a bit more.

And water!! Drink lots of water..its real good for you.

Im going to start going to the gym next week lol so Im going to have to start following the regimen I just gave ya hehe.

Good luck! fing02.gif