Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Have You Tried Ios4 Yet?

Old 07-05-2010, 09:28 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

First off, iOS4 is Apple's mobile platform based off of their full blown Mac OS X. It is a version of freeBSD which was quitely migrated to their operating systems and called their own when Apple stopped manufacturing their own hardware and started using the same as PCs... then they started the Im a mac and I'm a PC commercials.

Anyways.. iOS4 just came out recently. I upgraded my iPhone.

one of the notible improvements is the icon stacking. You can drag and drop icons into a stack (like a folder). The only use I have found for this feature is to make a stack called "shit apple won't let me delete" then stick it in the final pane of my springboard.

Another notible improvement is the inability to read a webpage like RDTibuon until it finishes loading. Safari keeps resetting it's browser position. I will scroll 1/2 way across a page, then it pops me right back to where I was.

On top of that, it has problems posting in RDT's full screen editor. This text box which I'm tying in now does not register as something which can be typed in on iOS4 safari browser.

Needless to say, I'm getting an android based phone when my contract is up. At least with Android, it is actively developed with new versions of the linux kernel being released frequently. Another plus is the ability to browse the source and locate problems for yourself.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

I'm running iOS4 and was able to jailbreak it. Since I have it jailbroken I have the ability to hide icons which I use to hide most of the default apps.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:50 PM
DTN

Where are the instructions for 3GS? I had a jailbroken iOS3, but I cannot find anything for iOS4 yet.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:29 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Sorry for not getting back sooner but here is what I did to Jailbreak my 3gs.

For my method you will need a Mac computer to build the custom firmware file. After you make the custom IOS4 firmware file you can then use a windows pc to do the update like I did if you want.

First you need a copy of the latest Pwnage Tool. I used the Pwnage 4.01 that I got by downloading the torrent that the creator had posted on his website and made sure it had the correct MD5 hash. I still have the 14mb downloaded DMG file and can send it to you if you PM me.

When using the Pwnage Tool, you end up downloading the IOS4 Firmware update through itunes and it then creates you a new patched version that is a little under 400mb which you can save so you can re-jail break the phone if needed.

Make sure you backup your phone first and then update the phone through itunes using the restore option so you can select your custom firmware file you just made. After the update process is finished and your phone reboots you will see the cydia icon and you can then start putting all your stuff back on.

Have you checked to see if they released a windows version of the jailbreak yet?

Let me know if you need any help with the process.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:41 AM
DTN

There's not much information out there about iOS4 yet. I think there is, but I upgraded to iOS4 early. I need to go back to iOS3 to do the jailbreak.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:49 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Tiburón GT

iOS4 jailbreak only works on 3G iPhones only. I jailbroke mine (3G) with iOS4 but I'm not to thrilled with it. it freezes WAY too much and the apps crash randomly.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:19 PM

QUOTE (Krazy @ Jul 6 2010, 12:26 PM)
I'm running iOS4 and was able to jailbreak it. Since I have it jailbroken I have the ability to hide icons which I use to hide most of the default apps.

that's why i like android; you shouldn't have to jailbreak something or void the warranty just to have it set up the way you like it.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:17 PM
DTN

You don't void the warranty with a jailbreak. A jailbreak is all software. When you restore your phone, Apple first transfers the iOS to the phone, then your personal information, then your purchases, then your music. A restore puts the phone back to factory settings. I have had mine jailbroken and unjailbroken several times.

I would still go with android though. The platform is open source and can actually be fixed by those who make the product.