Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Hatin' on New Tib

Old 12-03-2001, 03:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hatin' on New Tib

Why does it seem like everyone's hating on the new tib? I like the new body style. I don't see how it looks like a mustang. I hear everyone complaining that it only has 181 hp and that it's no comp. to celica and rsx type s. Celica has 180 hp, lower torque, and is a 4 cylinder. Tib has v-6.
Old 12-03-2001, 03:39 AM

LOL.. Well, people don't like the 57 Chevy, and look at how popular it is.. (I AM NOT comparing the two) There will always be some people that do not like body styles, and think they don't have enough power.. FACT IS that it has more than what we have no.. The power to Weight Ratio is better, REGARDLESS of the final HP rating... Besides, don't mind them.. MOST of the people haven't seen it, so they don't have a right to talk.. Even fewer have actually driven one.. When it comes out, then people will see what it is ALL about, then you may hear some more accurate opinions. BUT!! I agree.. Why do people hate on things that they know little to nothing about.. Ahh.. Details.. smile.gif

Late
Old 12-03-2001, 04:26 AM

One thing that I was told about the new Tib from a dealership quite sometime ago was that in the creation of this car, they were not thinking of making a "race car" but rather a very sound touring car that is tune-able.

When you look at the amount of available torque, they accomplished what they set out to make -> a touring car. Too, the tune-ability of this car will probably be out of this world.

Personally, I like the look of the car (although, when I think of Hyundai and the Tib most specifically, the opinion of the appearance of the car was always polarized. There are people who love it and people who hate it and very few in between. You cannot criticize personal opinion) and am satisfied with its promised performance. When I buy one (and I will be buying one), I will not be leaving it naturally aspirated.
Old 12-03-2001, 05:16 AM

Vehicle: Custom Wagon

I like the new bodystlye of the tiburon but I also think it looks like a mustang in some ways. But I'm happy with my tibby so I dont plan on buying on of the new ones anyway. I think that a lot of people thought that since it was going to be a v-6 that it would have more hp. And most people thought of the eclipse when they heard the hp b/c the eclipse went from a 4cyc. to a v-6 and they are slow IMO. But your right I havent driven one yet so I dont know how it compares to the eclipse. But I'll go drive one when they come out just to see for myself exactly how it feels and drives.
Old 12-03-2001, 05:54 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

People just don't like change. When the gen2 design came out, I didn't like the second gen design. Everyone at Fxtreme was in an uproar about disliking the gen2 design, with some people liking it. (I still don't like it as much as the gen1).

The New Tiburon has been somewhat of a disapointment. The President of HMA promised at least 200 HP...and we are looking at 181. We were promised that the new GK would weight the same, or just SLIGHTLY more than the current tib, instead it is more than 250 Lbs heavier. So for me, there are reasons not to like it.

The New GK/Tuscani design is a departure from the "agressive" look of the first gen and second gen. It now looks more like a Touring car, rather than a pure sports car.

Someone else said it, and I'm forced to agree with them. the tiburon is following the eclipse. It has become a touring car, rather than a sports car. (If you can call a $15,000 car a sports car!)

I'm not happy with the way it resembles a Mustang. I'm also not happy with their choice of V6 engine. The Delta V-6 that the new Tibby has is weak compared to the I-4 Beta motor. It would have been better to do a factory turbocharged I4 beta rather than the N/A V6, however, I don't run Hyundai Motors, so I didn't get a say in it.

No, I don't think my money will go into a new Tiburon. If I were to buy a new Hyundai, the new Sonata kicks the new Tiburons ass in the looks department, and some of the body kits they have out in Korea for the new Sonata just make me drool. To me, the new Tiburon is "toned down" and "bland" compared to the previous generations.

But it all boils down to personal preference, for my money, it would be a Sonata, or another make/model of car.

EDIT:
One last tibit. Hyundai has GOT to stop changing the body style every 3 years. It makes getting body kits/exterior/interior parts made next to impossible, because any particular tyep/gen tiburon was not made in sufficent numbers to make it worth the while of the aftermarket companies.

[ December 03, 2001: Message edited by: Random ]
Old 12-03-2001, 06:05 AM

i agree with random
the new tibby is just not what i expected.
i still think they should have never have let go of the first gen so quickly. Everyone compliments my car, especially people who drive jags
the reason nobody bought it was because hyundai sucks at advertising. i bet if they were to release it today, people would buy it.
as for the 2nd gens,... i usto say they looked like celicas on crack,...lol tongue.gif
Old 12-03-2001, 08:32 AM

EDIT:
One last tibit. Hyundai has GOT to stop changing the body style every 3 years. It makes getting body kits/exterior/interior parts made next to impossible, because any particular tyep/gen tiburon was not made in sufficent numbers to make it worth the while of the aftermarket companies.

honda changes their body styles every 4 years. though most honda stuff are for the older civics. go figure. i guess when you have the best selling car when its new, and it gets handed down from parents to young punk kids the aftermarket drools. but if i'm not mistaken the elantra has been doing pretty well in the market at least the last two years. rolleyes.gif
Old 12-03-2001, 08:55 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Hyundai Sonata Limited V6, 2008 Nissan Xterra Off-Road

Good catch Lt., I was about to say that.

88-91 Civic
92-95 Civic
96-98 Civic
99-00 Civic
93-97 Integra
98-00 Integra

Not too much different from Hyundai, yet they have TONS of bodykits and such.
Old 12-03-2001, 09:27 AM

I guess because of an obvious situation. There are more people buying Hondas than Hyundais.

Therefore the market is more interested in making accessories for these cars than any other ones. It's all about money nowadays, the passion comes in 2nd.

That's unfortunate, but that's the reality.

[ December 03, 2001: Message edited by: SilkySpinZ ]
Old 12-03-2001, 11:18 PM

Originally posted by Random:
I'm not happy with the way it resembles a Mustang. I'm also not happy with their choice of V6 engine. The Delta V-6 that the new Tibby has is weak compared to the I-4 Beta motor. It would have been better to do a factory turbocharged I4 beta rather than the N/A V6, however, I don't run Hyundai Motors, so I didn't get a say in it.
We'll get right on that for ya...

Originally posted by Random:
To me, the new Tiburon is "toned down" and "bland" compared to the previous generations.

Agreed with in full. Not to wax TOO poetical here, but I really liked the muscular and somewhat feminine (in a hottie mamacita sort of way, not in a girlie chick-car way) curves of the first-gen body styling... That's why I pounced into one as soon as I could. The second-gen had some of those toned down and changed with the new front, hood, and rear, but (fortunately, IMO) they kept the sides the same. There was still enough similarity that, if you looked at a first-gen and a second-gen side by side, you could see a family resemblance. The third gen, (again, only IMO) however, is too much of a departure too quickly from the "original." Line up every body style Mustang in your mind, side-by-side. The '64.5 looks NOTHING like the 2001. BUT, from year to year to year, you can find similarities...something that shows an obvious progression from one to the next. An automotive body-style game of Telephone, if you will. Same thing for Corvettes. Now imagine a first-gen Tiburon, second-gen Tiburon, and a new Tuscani all in a row. There's too little in common between the second-gen and third-gen to make the jump. Are they really even being toted as a Tiburon? Any "official" reference I've heard of regarding them calls them a GK or a Tuscani. HMC might as well just declare the Tiburon line dead, and say it's being replaced with a new Tuscani line.

[Edit for clarification on some things. Would be nice if there was a "preview" option...AHEM! wink.gif ]

[ December 04, 2001: Message edited by: Iago ]