Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Guy kills his 40,000 square foot lawn by not reading directions

Old 07-15-2012, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2005 Sonata
Default Guy kills his 40,000 square foot lawn by not reading directions

http://www.kare11.com/news/article/9...kenly-killed--

LAKE ELMO, Minn. - The founder of a fundraiser for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation has canceled the backyard event after he inadvertently killed 40,000 square feet of his lawn.

Rob Olson says he consulted with three employees of the Dege Garden Center prior to his purchase of several bottles of Ferti-lome brand weed killer.

Olson says he called the store after his yard began to die only to learn that the product also contained a pre-emergent and post-emergent grass killer that not only killed his lawn, but will prevent it from being reseeded or sodded for up to six months.

Olson believes the mistake is less the fault of the garden center than the labels used by Ferti-lome.

In an email, Geneva Aragon, a Ferti-lome spokesperson, pointed out instructions "related directly to the product" are contained in a booklet fixed to the back of the bottle.

On the second page of the eight-page booklet, customers are warned to not use the spray on desirable plants or lawns. There is one additional reference to "Weed & Grass Control" on the front of the bottle.

Olson believes the warning should have been clearer and more prominent. "I think the packaging should say right on it, this will kill your lawn."

Olson says the backyard fundraiser raised $20,000 last year. He says he contacted "probably 15 different places "to try to find one for that day and I just couldn't find anything."

Though the fundraiser is canceled, he's still accepting donations for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. Olson and his wife have two sons with cystic fibrois.

Isnt it standard practice to read the instructions that come on lawn chemicals?

Old 07-15-2012, 05:38 PM

Vehicle: 1991 Impulse RS

I hate stupid people that try to blame their stupidness on others.

I work in residential HVAC. I was sent to install a HRV/ERV in someones house years back. I hadn't installed one in a while, so I opened up the box and took out the instructions just to see if anything had changed and to scan them quickly. The customer got upset with me!?!?!
Old 07-15-2012, 09:18 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

I think labels are really hard to read nowadays. Nothing against hispanic people (I love them and want to learn Spanish) but every company now diminishes their fonts by half just to split the language. So instead of things being big and easy to read, everything is barely readable.