Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Good Winter/daily Driver Car?

Old 01-02-2007, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon SE

well i've been having way to many random problems arising and being fixed on the tib so came up with a possible idea i might pursue

im gona pay off abit of the loan, sell the tib which should clear the rest of it off (bought the tib before knowing much... realized i waaaay overpaid 02.gif)

then buy a daily driver / winter beater under $1000 and rebuy a 01 black or dark blue tib either locally or from the states and bring it up and do more engine work to it and keep it as a summer/weekend car

so question is, any ideas on a reliable car under 1g? dont want to be putting more cash in it to keep it running then i should be

thanks for any help
Old 01-02-2007, 07:36 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Eh, an old Honda or a Volvo maybe?

Only brands that I can think of that are really cheap and known for lasting a while.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:50 PM

Vehicle: 1992 Honda Accord EX

you can probably score an old Nissan or Toyota for less than that. I dunno about the market for cars there but my mom just bought a 91 Corolla for $1800. It's in excellent running condition just has very few blemishes on the front end.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:12 PM

Ever consider an elantra?

2000 Elantra.. RDtib sale <--- click me!
Old 01-02-2007, 08:31 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Id also say an old Nissan or Toyota. Their reliable and you can def. find one for real cheap. Hondas are good too but might be a little expensive sometimes.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:10 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Hyundai Sonata GL V6

Why sell the Tiburon you have though? You're only going to lose more money, especially if you paid too much for it in the first place. You might not even get enough to pay off the loan you have. Why not just buy a winter car and then fix up your Tiburon the way you want it in the summer? At least you are familiar with your own car. If you sell it and buy another one you don't know what you are getting into.

I agree with Mad-Machine. You should consider an Elantra. They are good reliable cars (same as the Tiburon) and will be less expensive than any Honda/Toyota/Nissan you will find. You should be able to get a newer Elantra with fewer kilometres on it for the same or less money.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:14 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Elantra

I bought a 94 Nissan Pickup 4x4 for 500USD and I love it. It's 350 for 50,000/100,000/50,000 liability insurance and is reliable. Get decent highway gas mileage, about 15/20. Check Craigslist, there's always cheap reliables on there.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:16 PM

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon SE

ill check out those cars, never considered an elantra or truck, ill be sure to check them out, thanks smile.gif

and ya i know i'll lose some money, but it just seems like this one has way to many problems creaping up after the accident

driver side rear caliper and brakes keep rubbing and warping the rotor after being fixed, e-brake has to be replaced, hood doesnt want to sit properly, rear bumper is off color on driver side from previous owner, can see easily it when looking when its sunny out, im guessing it had a previous accident cause of that paint and the hatch is abit off to near the end of the trunk, still gota do about $1500 for a proper bodywork job, clutch is going , and well theres a bunch of other things and its been drivin on the harder side on highways and city traffic for the last 50k km

was planning to turbo it eventually and put in a good clutch with a findanza flywheel but with everything slowely busting up since the accident i really dont think its going to do well with the extra power, im just afraid ill invest the money into it, then its really gona crap out and then i just lost even more

figured i'll throw in a cheap oem clutch, fix the bodywork so its good, not a great job but good enough and fix the other things and put it up for sale, and ya, selling it wont pay off the loan fully, why i need to fork over some cash into it and then sell it if i go through with it
Old 01-03-2007, 05:35 PM

I think you're going to get your ass kicked money wise with this plan....you over pay for a car, get it into an accident that leaves it with lasting effects both cosmetically and mechanically......I would think you would get done dry with this plan....Like the others said fix the car you have!!
Old 01-03-2007, 08:49 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

haha yep elantra = excellent. especially the 1996-2000's. i couldn't pick a better car.