Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Gk Intake

Old 12-16-2006, 06:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Tiburon gt

well i was cruseing ebay and found this... i know ssautocrome is crap from what i have heard but.. i showed it to my man here and he said it would work. to my best knowledge there is nothing like this on the korean market here

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hyundai-Tib...1QQcmdZViewItem

fire away
Old 12-16-2006, 06:06 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Ye it works. Most GK guys don't buy it because it looks like a copy of NGM's Intake Manifold, and they don't buy it in support of NGM.
Old 12-16-2006, 09:02 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Wait a sec...

You are saying that Moteria, a Korean company, copied a US Intake Manifold?

Ehhh, I'd say if it's not the other way around, it's more like "Wow, we came up with 2 similar designs".

Not like there's MUCH you can do with those manifolds, they are all going to be somewhat similar.
Old 12-16-2006, 11:06 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

QUOTE (Mad_john @ Dec 16 2006, 08:01 AM)
well i was cruseing ebay and found this... i know ssautocrome is crap from what i have heard but.. i showed it to my man here and he said it would work. to my best knowledge there is nothing like this on the korean market here

I wouldn't say ssautochrome is crap. They provide good durable products for cheap... The intake I have is like an AEM but it's a 2 piece instead. It's a good intake, sounds good and about the same dimensions as a AEM. I've run it for a year now and it is holding up well. Just polished the chrome the other day and it looks like new again. You can't do that with a powdercoated AEM. They rub on the battery and it's been damaged.

Also, for mounting purposes, the 2 piece design, split below the battery allows more freedom then the 1 piece because you can rotate it to ensure that it will not rub your battery. If I were really high speed, i'd put a breather right there.... I need to get off my butt and do that before i run into problems with vaporloc.

There were no fitment issues at all with my 3" ssautochrome intake. It bolted right on, cleared my battery, the provided couplers were exactly to spec. The only thing is it came with a non-oil based filter, so I replaced it with a K&N

I'd recommend ssautochrome to anyone. They did not directly copy AEM in thier version of the CAI I have, but they enhanced a logical design.
Old 12-16-2006, 11:06 AM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

^^

All that is is aluminum pipe. No big deal.

ssautochrome intake manifolds are probably just like their headers.

I'll put 100$ they don't do flow tests.

How about their turbo's. JUNK. Go type in ssautochrome turbo in google and tell me what you find.
Old 12-16-2006, 11:13 AM
Banned

looks pretty nice though for the $$. if i had a GK i would probably buy it..

SSautochrome/obx, whatever they change their name to or are known by carry decent products, but not close to anything to be like WOW about. their headers are ok, but sound like ASS, but they serve the purpose they are intended to. their turbos are junk. their intakes are pretty much just a copy. but they have decent products, and their customer service BLOWSS.

and for the record, i really think 'motoria' is ssautochrome/obx/xspower.. does anyone have anything saying that they ARE NOT the same..the catback exhausts look identical.
Old 12-16-2006, 11:41 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

QUOTE (tanc @ Dec 16 2006, 01:06 PM)
^^

All that is is aluminum pipe. No big deal.

ssautochrome intake manifolds are probably just like their headers.

I'll put 100$ they don't do flow tests.

How about their turbo's. JUNK. Go type in ssautochrome turbo in google and tell me what you find.

no, aluminum is not that easy to polish. I have an aluminum elbow, it is scratched and very difficult to repair.
Old 12-16-2006, 12:59 PM

It's aluminum. I've been welding for years and i know an aluminum weld when i see one.
Old 12-16-2006, 01:53 PM

Ye its aluminum.

RedZ, I'm just going buy what the GK nubs say on their forums, whether they actually copied it or not I don't know.

I do know from Korean GK members that they don't have access to aftermarket IMs there. So Motoria, a "Korean" company, doesn't offer them where they are made it seems.