Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

GK bit the dust

Old 10-18-2014, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Originally Posted by JonGTR
Ha! It IS an old man's car. But, you gotta do what's best for the family and wallet. I'll waste no time trading it in once my current predicament is remedied.

yeah i know...sh*t happens

at least my max had a 6 speed
Old 10-21-2014, 06:06 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

I was tired of the manual shifter also. Like I said, I now drive 42 miles one way in traffic. Shifting through traffic is NOT my idea of fun. It doesn't become "sporty" anymore. When I put the Avalon in sport mode, it's instant take off! Just like having a manual, if not faster. Also has paddle shifters if I really cared to use them. But, I don't.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:15 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

I was tired of the manual shifter also.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:27 AM

That's why I still have the RD Tiburon.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:20 AM

Fair enough.

But on a serious note we tried that with the Accent and I just found that I can't stand autos, even shiftronics. I prefer to have full control of the shifter for fuel economy and easy overtaking. Even the shiftronics are slow when I really want an immediate kick. It just comes down to preference I'll accept the hassle in traffic for the control I get over more of the vehicle.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Tibbi
Fair enough.

But on a serious note we tried that with the Accent and I just found that I can't stand autos, even shiftronics. I prefer to have full control of the shifter for fuel economy and easy overtaking. Even the shiftronics are slow when I really want an immediate kick. It just comes down to preference I'll accept the hassle in traffic for the control I get over more of the vehicle.
So, you gave an automatic a try in a Hyundai and therefore concluded that autos suck?

When I hit the sport mode in the Avalon, my auto shifts instantly with plenty of power.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:40 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

not only just a hyundai. but the cheapest model hyundai at that.

ive driven some GOOD automatics before but will always prefer a stick.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:58 AM

So, you gave an automatic a try in a Hyundai and therefore concluded that autos suck?
I've driven tons of cars with autos, that was just the one that solidified the verdict. My 07 was a stick and was a joy to drive, but having the auto directly afterwards really made it a dog to drive at times. My 944 had a 968 6 speed, a friend of mine had a 968 cabrio with the tiptronic, and I'm sorry especially for a Porsche transmission, that thing was total crap and shifted so sporadically. Even the 987 Cayman's Tiptronic, for as much as people wanted to shout it's praises, was sh*t under real stress. It took the dual clutch to fix that. I've driven everything from Mazda to Mercedes in all kind of configs and I just hate autos. It's a control thing for me. I've never had a shiftronic that held it's value in speed against a proper H.

When I was out at Nopi a couple weeks ago I had a go in an auto R31 GTS-X.

I fell in love with the car despite the fact I hated the transmission. It held and shifted very smooth through all gears, but downshifting, while exceptional for an auto, was still more tedious than I have patience for.

Is that more valuable?