Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Give 'em a chance!

Old 03-11-2009, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2003 Hyundai Accent
Default Give 'em a chance!

Up until today I thought all telemarket offers were a scam. But I just started a P/T job in it, and I get hung up on ALL THE TIME. The thing I find funny is we are *almost* giving away a stay at a 5 star hotel. I mean 4 days & 3 nights, full use of all the hotels amenities (spas, horseback riding, PGA golf course) plus tickets to a large local theme park, huge water park, or a prepaid $75 visa card.

It does have some downsides. They have to take a bus tour of the area (about 90 minutes), no sales pitch just get on the bus then get off the bus and continue vacation, and they would have to put up a $179 payment, but they'd get it back as soon as they check in! So outside of living without the cash until you go I don't see the downside.

If people wouldn't hang up instantly they could have a free vacation, I'm never hanging up on them again (until they ask for money I won't get back)!

Either way I spent all day getting hung up on and had to tell someone.

P.S. I can't get you on the call list.....Sorry.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:36 AM

Vehicle: Hyundai Elantra 2000

Sucks to be you ... not to flame or anything but even for "free" stuff, I will still hang up! If I want free stuff I know where to look (seriously), and if I want vacations, I'll prefer paying and having it where I want. wink.gif (again, it's not against you, I just HATE being called and be thrown a sales pitch at diner time!)

funniest thing I've heard :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un_PjRXV5l8
Old 03-12-2009, 04:30 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Statistically speaking, dinner time is the time which you are most likely to say yes to something.. While you're eating a meal you enjoy.

Anyways... I did telemarketing for about 1 1/2 years. It sucked. I will never do it again. I worked for 3 different places, magazines, setting up satellite appointments, and market research. I've found the trick is to use *PROPER* grammar. When I say proper, I mean sound like a freakin' announcer. Annunciate each word, and change the pitch in your voice to match the script.

I could sell some dang magazines that way because people thought they were special. The other jobs were not trying to sell stuff, but I kept them on the phone longer then most.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

I always interrupt their pitch and ask for the company name. I then inform them that my number is on the "do not call" list and that I'm filing against them for calling. They hang up and usually don't call back. Yes, I do actually report them because I really am on the list. I figure, if you have something I want or need, I'll find you.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:06 AM

QUOTE(jalmir @ Mar 12 2009, 02:36 AM)
Sucks to be you ... not to flame or anything but even for "free" stuff, I will still hang up! If I want free stuff I know where to look (seriously), and if I want vacations, I'll prefer paying and having it where I want. wink.gif (again, it's not against you, I just HATE being called and be thrown a sales pitch at diner time!)
funniest thing I've heard :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un_PjRXV5l8

The guy in that you tube clip has a bunch of CD's out he's been on a local morning show here several times.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:55 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I will never accept an offer for something like that because you never know if you're getting ripped off. I wouldn't accept free money over the phone from a telemarketer if I have to give any info beyond an address. Of course I wouldn't get that far because while I do try to be cordial most of the time I tell the person that I'm not interested but if they don't take no for an answer I'll hang up pretty quickly. I have the internet for finding things, I'm not sitting around waiting for things to find me.

I have been getting repeated recorded calls on my cell phone trying to get me to refinance my house. I can't get them to stop calling. They have the option to get yourself removed by pressing 9 but the call ends immediately if you do and they still call. If I push 1 to talk to someone (to get their company name and to tell them that any further calls would be reported) I have to sit ON HOLD for an eternity waiting for someone to pick up the phone. The kicker is that even after a 45 minute wait nobody did. Then I hang up and 10 minutes later...the same place's computer called back. I was getting 5 or 6 calls from these assholes a day for a while, now it's down to once a week or so but it still pisses me off and I can't even get the company name.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:28 PM

Vehicle: 2003 elantra, Soon to be beta swapped 01 lc hatch

I was a telemarketer for almost 2 years. I was good at it too, I had some trouble with it at first, But Once I got comfortable with it and got a good rhythm going it was like cash in my pocket. We would get performance bonuses every month and I always had at least a 1500.00 bonus check at the end of each month. We also worked a flex schedule where we could work 40 hours a week (from opening to close) I would come in for a few hours in the morning and then few hours each night. I held the record at the place for about 9 months with 400 sales in 1 day.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:58 PM

QUOTE(slyderdai @ Mar 12 2009, 07:28 PM)
I was a telemarketer for almost 2 years. I was good at it too, I had some trouble with it at first, But Once I got comfortable with it and got a good rhythm going it was like cash in my pocket. We would get performance bonuses every month and I always had at least a 1500.00 bonus check at the end of each month. We also worked a flex schedule where we could work 40 hours a week (from opening to close) I would come in for a few hours in the morning and then few hours each night. I held the record at the place for about 9 months with 400 sales in 1 day.

bowdown.gif 400! They dont even let us take that many calls!
Old 03-12-2009, 07:59 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Yeah, how did you manage 400 in a day?
Old 03-12-2009, 09:16 PM

Vehicle: 2003 elantra, Soon to be beta swapped 01 lc hatch

QUOTE(03AccentVA @ Mar 12 2009, 09:58 PM)
bowdown.gif 400! They dont even let us take that many calls!

QUOTE(DTN @ Mar 12 2009, 09:59 PM)
Yeah, how did you manage 400 in a day?

We were running a Capital One card for 6 weeks. Our ideal cardholders were 18/19/20/21 year olds. After you made 100 sales you could go off script and talk to the customers like a real person. I found that I could talk to these people easier and sell more because most were the same age as me and I would bang out card after card. I don't know what it was but I could just talk to anyone after that and sell. I remember the floor manager yelling "the next person to sell 5 is getting 100 dollars cash" I had just dialed into the computer and sold 5 cards in 27 minutes.