Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Gas prices/ Please read before May 19th!!!!!

Old 05-18-2004, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon
Default interesting searches on the internet...

This was an e-mail I recieved at work today,

IT HAS BEEN CALCULATED THAT IF EVERYONE IN THE UNITED STATES and CANADA DID NOT PURCHASE A DROP OF GASOLINE FOR ONE DAY AND ALL AT THE SAME TIME, THE OIL COMPANIES WOULD CHOKE ON THEIR STOCKPILES.

AT THE SAME TIME IT WOULD HIT THE ENTIRE INDUSTRY WITH A NET LOSS OF OVER 4.6 BILLION DOLLARS WHICH AFFECTS THE BOTTOM LINES OF THE OIL COMPANIES.

THEREFORE MAY 19TH HAS BEEN FORMALLY DECLARED "STICK IT UP THEIR behind " DAY AND THE PEOPLE OF THESE NATIONS SHOULD NOT BUY A SINGLE DROP OF GASOLINE THAT DAY.

THE ONLY WAY THIS CAN BE DONE IS IF YOU FORWARD THIS E-MAIL TO AS MANY PEOPLE AS YOU CAN AND AS QUICKLY AS YOU CAN TO GET THE WORD OUT.

WAITING ON THIS ADMIINSTRATION TO STEP IN AND CONTROL THE PRICES IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. WHAT HAPPENED TO THE REDUCTION AND CONTROL IN PRICES THAT THE ARAB NATIONS PROMISED TWO WEEKS AGO?

REMEMBER ONE THING, NOT ONLY IS THE PRICE OF GASOLINE GOING UP BUT AT THE SAME TIME AIRLINES ARE FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES, TRUCKING COMPANIES ARE FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES WHICH EFFECTS PRICES ON EVERYTHING THAT IS SHIPPED. THINGS LIKE FOOD, CLOTHING, BUILDING MATERIALS, MEDICAL SUPPLIES ETC. WHO PAYS IN THE END? WE DO!

WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE. IF THEY DON'T GET THE MESSAGE AFTER ONE DAY, WE WILL DO IT AGAIN AND AGAIN.

SO DO YOUR PART AND SPREAD THE WORD. FORWARD THIS EMAIL TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW. MARK YOUR CALENDARS AND MAKE MAY 19TH A DAY THAT THE CITIZENS OF THE UNITED STATES AND CANADA SAY "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!
Old 05-18-2004, 02:28 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

1. if people don't buy gas, they'll have to drive the same amount of distance as they usually would, hence they'd still require the same amount of gas on average. It's just whether or not the oil is bought today or tomorrow.

2. getting enough people to actually commit to this insane idea is insane in itself. Think of the amount of cars in the US alone. If 400,000 people actually agreed to do this, it still wouldn't put a dent, or even a scratch in anybody's pocket.

3. Do you realize the 4.6 billion dollar loss is NOTHING to them? They would make that up in a few hours... if it even took that long (imagine how much you pay each time you fill up, then imagine how much everybody in your state/province fills up each day... several million dollars there).
Old 05-18-2004, 02:51 PM

This has already been posted. or something extremely similar.

heres the link : http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?name=PN...iewtopic&t=1124
Old 05-18-2004, 03:08 PM

hey majikTib... i think he was just posting it to get the word out....

i wouldn't attack him personaly (not saying that you are), but maybe the one that started this crazy bit.

and you're right. even if EVERYBODY in the western hemisphere WITH computers DID decide to not buy gas.... what about the rest of the people that don't have this available to them and get the shish anyway?

i like the idea though. mutiny is great when it's called for. but i think it's just a little unrealistic - and in the end they know that WE ALL need gas if we want to drive cars..... let alone these slick ass tiburons we all roll around in.

just my $.02
Old 05-18-2004, 03:41 PM
Administrator

I wasn't trying to attack him, just the e-mail itself. Just wanted to let everyone it was probably a waste of time and energy.... now if we all bought the new infiniti's that are advertising 40MPG... that might do something wink.gif just kidding
Old 05-18-2004, 04:59 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

No worries, no attack taken,lol.
Just thought I would get it out there for people to see. I already have full tank of gas in my car so doesn't really apply to me! wink.gif
Old 05-18-2004, 06:34 PM

Yea you will buy the gas anyway eather to day or tomarrow. And gas is around $2.00 so what in europe they pay 3-4. we have it good here.
Old 05-18-2004, 06:55 PM

Yep, we americans are whiney. I don't care about paying $2.00 for a gallon of gas if it takes me 30 miles. If we lived in another country, we'd be paying a lot more than $2.00 for a gallon of gas.

My suggestion, suck it up. I quit driving the truck as much and drive the car more often. I also don't drive for fun anymore, I just drive when I need to go somewhere. We have been driving on borrowed time anyway. Gasoline prices have not risen proportionally with inflation, so it was a matter of time before a major rise in gas prices. While it would be nice to pay 75 cents for a gallon of gas like I did when I started driving, it is not feasable.

Furthermore, when there are so many NEW vehicles that get less than 20 mpg on the highway, we need to re-evaluate our priorities. People are willing to spend $250000+ on a new house, $75+ on a new shirt or pair of pants, but they are not willing to spend $2 on a gallon of gas? I spend more on beer each week than I do on gas, and I don't complain.
Old 05-18-2004, 08:14 PM
Administrator

I wonder who put that e-mail out... if we DON'T buy it for $2.00 today and wait til tomorrow, it'll just be up to $2.05... maybe the gas stations put that email out so people will buy the gas at a higher price?!?!

I SMELL CONSPIRACY!!!!!
Old 05-18-2004, 08:29 PM

was it started by John Kerry? i think it was started by George Bush so he can have an excuse to invade some other oil bearing country... like Canada