Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Gas Nowadayz...

Old 01-15-2005, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon
Default Gas Nowadayz...

Alright, sort of a vent topic here. Three days ago I went and filled up the Tibby with a few gallons of 89 octane. I drive around for a bit, and I end up giving it half throttle @ 1900RPM. The sucker PINGS on me. Now the only way I can figure out this happening on a Tibby is I got a crappy load of gas. I can't stand pinging, I have a fear of it from driving the GSX. I go and drain the gas, put in a 2/3 gallon of 110 octane (yeah yeah, I Know... smile.gif) and head to a different gas station. I put in 89 again, and it pings again. Urg I'm mad.

What really makes me mad is that it only does it at below 2000RPM when I give it a little gas from the torque the car starts making there. Bah. So I'm driving to drive the car easy, and I have to keep it above 2300 everywhere. Its like it wants me to drive it fast. tongue.gif
Old 01-15-2005, 06:55 PM

ping??? i've heard about this before. exactly what are you talking about? i wanna kno if my engine could possibly have this problem also
Old 01-15-2005, 06:59 PM

ping/knock/detonation. Its combustion by explosion rather than controlled burning. It does damage to the walls of the combustion chamber. Usually happens when your air/fuel mixture is too lean or the gas your running is messed up (low octane, diluted).
Old 01-15-2005, 07:01 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon

i wouldn't know if this happened to me before....

and here's some advice: turn up your radio. your pinging will disappear
Old 01-15-2005, 07:05 PM

I know... I just can't stand it, its so evil. I'm at least glad it happens at low RPM... that I know of... at high RPM, like 6k, there can be fifty explosion (pings) a second. Maybe I might buy an S-AFC just for the knock sensor for a while tongue.gif I actually did have the windows down and the radio on a bit and I still heard it.
Old 01-15-2005, 07:33 PM

It could be bad gas but it could also be other things: knock sensor going bad, engine overheating (but you would've know this from your guage), carbon buildup from oil consumption at low speeds, a bad fuel pump, O2 sensor, vacume leak..hopefully it's just the gas
Old 01-15-2005, 07:50 PM

try resetting your ECU.
Old 01-15-2005, 08:06 PM

yea.. you must have gotten a real bad batch of gas to get pinging with the knock sensing ignition in our cars... have you tried 93 octane?
Old 01-15-2005, 08:06 PM

I've run 93 on some occasions... this is the first time its happened.

QUOTE (CyberShark)
It could be bad gas but it could also be other things: knock sensor going bad, engine overheating (but you would've know this from your guage), carbon buildup from oil consumption at low speeds, a bad fuel pump, O2 sensor, vacume leak..hopefully it's just the gas

Car only has 12k on it... but who knows with Hyundais. tongue.gif I'll reset the ECU for the hell of it and see if maybe my fuel maps got all funkled (I drove easy after ECU reset for Corner light installs... maybe my maps got messed up, doubt it though...).

Shouldn't be overheating... I'll check for vacuum leaks tomorrow. Wouldn't bad O2 sensors throw a CEL? Carbon buildup should be marginal at 12k miles... maybe I'll order a header ahead of schedule so I have an excuse to tear down to see the exhaust ports.
Old 01-15-2005, 08:25 PM

If your car only has 12,000miles on it, it probably was the gas. Sensors usually don't go out till later (I didn't know you only had 12K on your car) but you never know. A vacume leak could cause a lean condition but with low miles, it probably isn't that either.