Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Funny but uncomfortable racial situation I was in.

Old 03-26-2010, 01:51 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring
Default Funny but uncomfortable racial situation I was in.

My GF and I went to the local grocery store to get a cake made for her 1yo daughter. I'm white, GF is hispanic (acts very white), and daughter is white. She picked out a ballerina cake. It had a blonde ballerina and pink crap on it. Typical little girl cake. So we got that.

We come back a day later after it gets made, and the black girl behind the counter hands the cake to us. It has two very black ballerinas on it. We don't say anything at first cause......we didn't know what to say, if we SHOULD say anything. We just looked at each other and kinda smiled. I chuckled cause I couldn't hold it in. I might have said something if the girl behind the counter wasn't black, but.....my GF didn't care. She wanted it changed. lol Apparently, they were all out of white ballerinas. I thought, "yea right, are we on camera? Ashton?!?!?!" lmao.gif

So we just took the cake. Everyone at the party, even a black friend, laughed at the situation. "WTF?" blink.gif

Seemed like a "sensitive" situation. Would you have spoken up? Would it have even mattered to you? Would you have gone as far as demanding another cake? Do you think it was an intentional joke by the store employees? lol
Old 03-26-2010, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: SRT4/Neon SOHC

Haha, I wouldn't have said anything. Not sure if they did it on purpose or not but its funny.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:41 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

lol... I would have asked for some white ballerinas and not accepted the black ones, or taken the cake without the figurines, or asked for a discount b/c it's not what I ordered.

Not because they're black, but because my daughter is white (if I had a daughter).

Funny, akward, and funny.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:21 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

that's funny. it's bad for your daughters Birthday but it's kind of funny. no way to tell if they did it on purpose, though i'd guess they were out of peach and used chocolate instead.

reason i would say it's funny, is because it's such a small thing and there's no real way to tell.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:11 PM

Vehicle: 03 Hyundai Accent

QUOTE (majikTib @ Mar 26 2010, 01:41 PM)
lol... I would have asked for some white ballerinas and not accepted the black ones, or taken the cake without the figurines, or asked for a discount b/c it's not what I ordered.

Not because they're black, but because my daughter is white (if I had a daughter).

Funny, akward, and funny.

+1
Old 03-28-2010, 10:29 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I would have demanded a discount. They probably thought it was funny. I wouldn't have because it's not what I ordered.