Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Free NRA Membership!

Old 05-08-2009, 12:08 PM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ
Default Free NRA Membership!

I’m passing this on from another forum. I’m at work and haven’t had the time to look into it, but aside from the information below, I was told that a lifetime membership is available for $400 if you have a family member with a life membership, vs. the usual $1,000.

FREE NRA memberships to all -- pass it on!

This is a free $35.00 value.

The NRA is giving FREE 1-year memberships to everyone who wants to JOIN.

It is build up its membership to fight pending legislation actions by

this administration and the current congressional leadership that will

impacts our 2nd amendment right to keep and bear arms.

It is very important for anti-gun congressmen to see how many people they

will have to fight to get their legislation through.

https://www.nrahq.org/nrabonus/accept-membership.asp

Old 05-08-2009, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

You can keep it. I used to be a member until that nut-job Heston screwed it up. They stopped being a gun rights group and started being a right-wing propaganda spreading, Jesus loving, homophobe, pro-life cult.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:40 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I think that's a bit of an extreme view of the NRA. I'm a member and I've never gotten anything from them that reflects any of those positions.

Are there people (like Heston) in the NRA that are right wing, Jesus loving homophobes? Certainly. Until they start using my membership dues to push LEGISLATION based on some of their right wing Jesus loving homophobic views it is none of my concern.

I'm not happy with everything the NRA does, but it's the most vocal supporter of a right I value and without them the voices of the opposing views would be too well heard. So far their updates, literature, and calls for action have not involved anything unrelated to firearms, so for me that's enough to make them more valuable than detrimental to me.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Do some research. Under Heston, they started funneling money to smaller lobby groups that pushed other right wing causes. They don't tell you how to vote directly. They pay other people to tell you how to vote. I was a member for several years. I learned to shoot when I was 12. I went to The New York Military Academy and was on the rifle team for 4 years. I'm an extremely good shot. I love shooting and believe everyone should own at least one firearm. I will not ever re-join the NRA until they put in writing that they will never support any group that is not directly working to promote gun rights and gun rights only.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:37 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Like I said, I don't agree with everything the NRA does. The GOA is a better organization but has almost zero political power.

I just did an hour of research (admittedly difficult not knowing exactly what to look for) and didn't find anything about the NRA funneling money to non-firearms related causes. It's been a while since Heston was running things, so the news could be old and hard to find, but I wasn't able to find it. That doesn't mean it didn't or doesn't still happen, but while I found a lot of complaints (many valid) about the NRA and the way they do things I couldn't find anything saying that they diverted money to other causes.

I started shooting when I was 5 or 6 and passed my hunter's safety course when I was 8 which made me one of the youngest people to ever pass the hunter's safety course in my state. I took my first deer at 9 years old with an old Winchester lever action 30-30. In the 20 years since firearms have been a constant part of my life even though I've drifted farther from my sporting roots and rarely hunt now. My primary focus personally is on the Second Amendment's role in preventing governmental tyranny. The NRA does not satisfactorily represent my position currently, but there is no organization with significant political power which does. The NRA is not the only group I support, but it is on the list because it has the most political clout and the largest numbers.

I think a free membership is a good thing because it gives the NRA increased numbers without you needing to fund them in any way.