Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Freakin' Sad Day Today And I Need Advice.

Old 01-11-2007, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1999/Hyundai/Tiburon

I've been working at a convenience store for a couple months now until I get my college degree. There's an old guy who came there almost everyday for the past 15 years to get 2 things, 2 packs of Camel Lights and a case of Bud Lite. He was in the Navy during the 1960's and as a Sailor myself, we always talked about Naval stuff and made jokes about some of the stuff we have done while we were in service.

4 weeks ago, he fell off a ladder and he broke a couple of bones. While examining, the doctor found out that he had cancer. Now the cancer is spreaded all over his body.

The store owner simply said "Oh that's too bad". I thought that was very weak of him to do that. His last wish is to just drink Bud Lite until he dies. So I personally came over to Hospice with a case of Bud Lite and a Sailor dixiecup hat that saids "Thanks for serving our country". The biggest problem is that I didn't want to see him suffer and I didn't want to interrupt his family time, so I just told the nurse to drop off the stuff I bought him.

I just don't know... should I see him with a last goodbye? What I'm I suppose to say to him? I mean.. he will die soon... I just don't know what to say...I just feel so down at the moment. I plan on making him his favorite Sandwich and another case of Bud lite; but I just don't know if I want to confront him...
Old 01-11-2007, 04:06 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

That sucks, but at 2 packs a day you're kind of asking for it...
Old 01-11-2007, 04:26 PM

Vehicle: 1997/Tiburon/FX

dude pay him a visit, he'd probably like the comfort from a fellow naval member. How would you feel in a situation like that? I mean it seems like he had a simple living life and would appreciate someting like that
Old 01-11-2007, 04:54 PM

Ye I'd visit him, it would probably bring him some comfort, and give you some piece of mind after visiting him.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:58 PM

Don't say your goodbyes just yet. Stop in at least once a week with a pack or two of bud, have a drink with him, and just let him know that people care. I know it's sad, but it's sadder to die alone
Old 01-11-2007, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

my grandfather died in hospice surrounded by family, but so many others where there with no one. A guy across from his room passed away a day before my grandfather and the guys daughter finally showed up the day after asking about any paperwork left behind (aka money)......... very sad.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:14 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

a visit wouldn't hurt. does he have any family? would the hospital allow him beer? what was the cancer from, what kind?

sad mang... how old?
Old 01-11-2007, 07:56 PM

Definitely go see him. When my mom was sick with cancer she really liked when my dad and I visited. We'd cheer her up, keep her in good spirits, and give her hope. We honestly didnt think shed die because she was just in the hospital, but she was also gravely ill and us visiting her really brought her some joy during her last days.

So since your close to this fella, I think he'd like you visiting. I dont think his family would be mad at you for just saying "hi" to a friend. I think itd really brighten his day and help him enjoy his last days.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:53 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

def. go see him, just call the hospital ahead and see if his family is there. as cool as it would be bringing in a 6 pack and drinking with him i know the hospital prolly wouldnt allow it.

a sammich wouldnt hurt though. wink1.gif
Old 01-12-2007, 07:43 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

^^ If he's in a Hospice I'm sure they would turn a blind eye to the beer. I have a neighbour that volunteers at a local hospice and they see all kinds of weird things. Once you go in there, you know you're not going to leave, so who are they to tell you what you can and can't do in your last days. I'm pretty sure if I knew I was going to go, I'd have a beer in my hand.

Personally, I think it would mean a lot to him to have someone stop in and pay him a visit, especially from someone thats not related to him. Even though you know him, its not like you were best friends, and sometimes the kindness of strangers can mean more to someone than family. Family is expected to be there....the guy from the convenience store isn't, but you should do it out of respect.

Doode, you said a while ago that you wanted to be a hero. Visiting this guy in his last days because you care about him makes you that hero.