Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

First handgun purchase

Old 12-05-2013, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2012 Genesis 3.8
Default First handgun purchase

Looking to purchase my first handgun. For range use and home protection only. I have been eyeing berettas and .357 Mags so far. If you own a firearm(s), what are you carrying?
Old 12-05-2013, 01:23 PM

Vehicle: 2013 BMW 128i

Originally Posted by Congo
If you own a firearm(s), what are you carrying?

I have a Walther P22; first firearm I ever owned or shot. But my carry gun is a Bersa Thunder 380cc. I love that little thing.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:33 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Hyundai Tiburon GT

Need a lot more info like experience with firearms, your build, who else might use the gun, ect. For range use and HD you have a good range to choose from that is not limited to use as a carry gun as well. But in the end only you know what is best for you and your situation. Go to a range rent as many guns as you can, different calibers, sizes, and actions; make your choice based on what type of features feel the most comfortable or maybe you'll shoot the gun that is best for you.

I have a few handguns and I carry a gun for work. My duty pistol is a full size .40. I like shooting revolvers more then autos at the range, I think they are best for carry guns, but semi-auto are better for HD.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

^- what he said. I really like my glock 21, but that grip is an issue for some people, bit big/not comfortable unless you have a decent sized hand.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

If you are looking at .357s go ahead and get one from a good brand manufacturer. Get one made of STEEL if you don't intend to wear it out much. A scandium or carbon/plastic gun may be light, but they also kick way more, which sucks. Go to the range and shoot a few boxes of .38 special and then load it with some premium self-defense .357 magnum rounds and fire a few so you will know what to expect before setting it up at home.

For a first gun that is not going to be trained-with a BUNCH (which everyone *should* do but...) I like a revolver. They are dead simple. Pull bang switch. If no bang, pull again. A self-loading gun may be as reliable, but they are a lot more complicated to work when you are waking up and surprised, and your muscles don't remember what to do without having to concentrate on working the weapon.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:26 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

For a range/home defense first handgun I would say you'll want to stick with 9mm for economic reasons when you're at the range.

In 9mm, I suggest you look at a Glock 17. It is simple to operate, has tons of aftermarket options, and is adequately accurate for self defense purposes. The standard magazine capacity is 17 with options for 19 and even 33 round factory magazines.

If you handle the Glock and dislike it there are other good options. The Springfield XD in 9mm comes to mind.

If you don't want 9mm, if you'll never be concealed carrying the handgun I suggest a Ruger Redhawk if you want a revolver or if you want an auto a 1911 variant (I prefer Kimber) in .45ACP.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:41 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Right now, I have a Glock 19 but I'm looking into something else like a Glock 22, Beretta M92, or SIG P229.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:58 PM

i have a beretta 96 inox. EXCELLENT gun (same as a 92 but shoots .40) probably the most accurate gun ive ever owned. i HIGHLY recommend it to anyone.

that being said, i wouldnt carry it as a ccw cuz its too damn heavy. for a ccw you just cant beat a revolver (my next is gonna be a smith 642) .357 is nice expecially since you have a huge assortment of different types of rounds in 2 different calibers (most shoot .38 special also) but if you intend on just carrying .38 then just buy one that shoots .38 and save your self the bux

FOR JEBUS SAKE STAY AWAY FROM TAURUS. after my pro145 jammed every single time i shot it, and my friend having a revolver blow up in his face, i cant recommend anyone ever buy one.

we need to know what your plans are to make a good recommendation
Old 12-06-2013, 06:49 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Hyundai Tiburon GT

I have to disagree on not buying Taurus. I carry a 24/7 g2 for work have almost a 1000 rounds thru it not one problem. What do you expect from guns that are mass produced? you will run into to problems, but with a lifetime warranty the problem will be fixed. I hear of more stories of Taurus guns working more then not and is becoming a rare occurrence with quality control getting better. I plan on getting a pt92 Beretta clone.

But we do need more info to help.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Stay away from a NEW Taurus because the integral lock is just one more needless feature AND a failure waiting to happen. Gun locks should be external, as in, in the box with the warranty paperwork and not hampering proper operation of the gun