Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Fire = Bad

Old 01-30-2005, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fire = Bad

Ok, so im down at school after finally getting the turbo tib basically finished, when my dad tells me. The car caught on fire on the way down to the shop, toasted half of everything under the engine bay...Well this sucks...It started in back left corner of the engine bay when youre standing in front of the hood, were thinking an injector came unseated or blew out the side, weve seen it happen before. Either way, with the vale of our cars even in excellent condition the dmg tally made it totaled. This really blows, ive found a new car tho that im prolly getting this week and i might get rid of the tib eventually or keep since i have so much in it, i dunno yet. I found a 1996 240sx with only 60k and EC!!! for a great deal through a friend of a friend so looks like ill be a nissan boy too. Just wanted to share my pain, this blows hardcore.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:57 AM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

WHOA..ouch, whats beyond repair/salvage?
Old 01-30-2005, 09:59 AM

Sorry about what happened to your car...you'll probably have to wait to see what your insturance adjuster tells you. more then likely, it'll be written off as a loss, give you the value of the car and end up taking it away.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:00 AM

no, ill need practically a whole wiring harness, various hoses, belts, etc. It will be a pain but i might keep it just cuz i have so much in it and for it...The engine is fine, none of the turbo stuff got burnt so i gotta do some hard thinking
Edit due to cybers response
Screw them they already did and we bought it back, thats my damn tiburon.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:10 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL

Wow, that sucks. You were so happy to finally get your turbo kit on and everything. 02.gif Keep us posted on what happens. I don't think that a little fire like that would total a car, I mean it is all replaceable. Unless it was a bigger fire then you let on.

And find out what exactly happened to start this little disaster.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:15 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

It does sound like an injector. Too bad you can't really find out if the injector was faulty since its probably ashes right now...

Turbocharging creates problems like this. 240SX's are the ownage though, can't beat RWD. If your looking for a fun little car to work on, try and find a Miata. Very fast when you start to modify them. You could probably run a turbo on the 240SX or Miata for cheap since you could reuse the turbo itself and the intercooler along with all the couplings and such. Might be best to stay away from turbochargers for a bit though. tongue.gif
Old 01-30-2005, 10:16 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Let us know what we can do to help mang, that really sucks.

Get us some pics.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:20 AM

well the fire wasnt huge, the insurance just went nuts on what they wanted replace, it was ridiculous. So we might keep the tib cuz im kinda attached ya know, but we also might get a front clip for this 240 and swap in the sr20, but its all just kinda in the planning stages, but im getting that 240sx to atleast daily drive or turn in into my dragracer hehe. Ill try and get some pics, thanks guys.
Old 01-30-2005, 11:33 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Be wary of that SR20DET swap... its not a drop-in affair. Unless you/your dad can make custom mounts, grind stuff down, and have a shizzle load of specialty tools... its going to cost more than what you've put in the Tibby even if you do all of the work. If you pay someone to swap for you, most prices for it are like 6500.00 including the engine/tranny. And they encounter lots of problems. Just giving you a heads up on that stuff.