Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.
View Poll Results: ff or ie
firefox
58.82%
internet explorer
41.18%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Ff Or Ie?

Old 05-19-2005, 09:14 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

QUOTE (Whiplash @ May 19 2005, 01:52 PM)
Its not cause I want to be different, its because I dont want popups everytime I open a new page. But firefox isnt perfect for me, its far from perfect. Ive lost all my bookmarks at least 5-6 times and like it has been said, it isnt supported by alot of sites...still better then IE tho.

try the new IE. with WINXPSP2 They have popup blocker, and they have alot of patches to fix issues that FF is still voulnerable to, they're about to have antispyware as well.

Thats the reason firefox has themes, tons of extentions, works on freaking any os out there, and is more secure. microsoft only has their programmers to look through their code and find holes, mozilla has the whole world.

IE is available for all platforms. Microsoft's programmers ARE the ones who are making the code and the xml/scripting languages, ff is JUST trying to keep up. If netscape had the resources M$(microsoft) has, then they would be the ones setting the standards and the first to the guns, but for now we're all better off with M$. And, like i said, if they made IE skinnable, there would be no need for any other browser.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

QUOTE (DrivingTibNaked @ May 20 2005, 03:14 AM)
IE is available for all platforms. Microsoft's programmers ARE the ones who are making the code and the xml/scripting languages, ff is JUST trying to keep up.

First off, IE, while it exists for Mac OS, hasn't had a version release since 2001! there is no such thing as IE for any version of Linux (yes, FF runs on windows, Mac OS9 and X, and Linux). If IE is setting the standards as you say, then why is it that FF had a popup blocker first? Why did FF have tabbed browsing years before IE did? MS just announced that the next version of IE will have tabbed browsing... I wonder where they got the idea. tongue.gif
Old 05-20-2005, 11:53 AM
DTN

QUOTE (zhiryst @ May 20 2005, 09:44 AM)
First off, IE, while it exists for Mac OS, hasn't had a version release since 2001! there is no such thing as IE for any version of Linux (yes, FF runs on windows, Mac OS9 and X, and Linux). If IE is setting the standards as you say, then why is it that FF had a popup blocker first? Why did FF have tabbed browsing years before IE did? MS just announced that the next version of IE will have tabbed browsing... I wonder where they got the idea. tongue.gif

Popup blocker: msn released that a long time ago, it was a toolbar until WINXPSP2.

Tabbed browsing huh..... dunno.... why did they even claim tabbed browsing as a feature? That feature is already encorperated in windows... right next to the start menu. Gotta keep the people happy though.

Old 05-21-2005, 01:13 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

i dont use ie because of 2 reasons, viruses, thousands of them ONLY are targeted at ie, dont use it and u dont get infected. smile.gif 2..... spyware, half of it doesnt work with ff smile.gif, again its programed JUST to work with ie engined software....
Old 05-21-2005, 07:05 PM
DTN

^^^You got me there.... dosn't sound like much DOES work with FF. You forgot to mention webpages functionality on FF though.

they fix IE voulnerablities all the time, Update IE
Old 05-21-2005, 07:20 PM

^^^sounds like someone has a hard on for ie and microsoft. If what ie does to 80% of the computers it is used on is a "standard" set by Microsoft, then I think the definition of the word should be rewritten. The fact that you can update ie is great, but the bottom line is you shouldn't have to update it all the time, it should just work. As far as website functionality in ff, I personally have yet to experience any experience crippling problems. Mostly it is a difference in text formatting or frames or some other non essential "feature". Bottom line, I feel safer using Firefox.
Old 05-21-2005, 09:54 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

QUOTE (DrivingTibNaked @ May 19 2005, 04:30 PM)
Microsoft sets standards in the computer industry. Firefox keeps up.

'nuff said.

Microsoft is supported EVERYWHERE, that's why I use it, firefox is supported ALMOST everywhere, so you would end up needing to use microsfot's IE anyway..why not just use one? download a pop-up blocker (or service pack 2?????) to block popups.
if firefox had better support than IE, I would consider using it, but it doesn't, so I would have to use both. that's just retarded.
Old 05-21-2005, 10:12 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

^^ no it isnt, its smarter, ur protecting urself from spyware and viruses....those two things alone give a computer shop 60 computers a day. using ie only the .000001% of the time u have to isnt bad at all. u just right click and then click open in ie, the link opens in ie, and then u close ie, after using that site and go back to firefox. no hassle, no viruses, no spyware.

this isnt a microsoft, nonmicrosoft arguement, this is a PURE who gives u more protection. the answers ff. plan and simple.
Old 05-22-2005, 12:01 PM
DTN

QUOTE (tb1198 @ May 21 2005, 08:20 PM)
The fact that you can update ie is great, but the bottom line is you shouldn't have to update it all the time, it should just work.

If you've ever coded something, you know NOTHING just works. which is why every company that is serious about software should have a update program like microsoft's.

Reason they update so much... think about it like this: you make a badassed firecracker, like a M80 or something. People misuse it and cause havoc with it like sticking them in toilets. You then release a newer version which cannot be stuck in toilets, then people put them under chairs and so on and so forth.

You can ask any coder (Zoned19 for instance). The LARGEST part of releasing ANY software is maintenance. When conditions change, the software has to change to meet conditons. No software will be perfect for ever.

Maybe this is a dumb question.... why dosn't FF have regular updates? is it a matter of resources? could it be that microsoft is a larger company, with more money and people capable of doing more?

heheheh..... maybe it's that FF is too good for updating lol.gif
Old 05-22-2005, 12:09 PM

Because they are better smile.gif Seriously though, they have had updates since the release. It is officially on version 1.0.4 The browser itself lets you know when there is an update. In reference to the coding comment...I realize that nothing ever just works, but Microsoft let ie get to version 6 before they made any attempt at browser security that wasn't laughable. They continued to shovel crap at the end user until something like firefox came along. Now, IE7 is due this summer. Maybe I just have something against M$ because they dominate the market and have allowed the software innovations to slow to a trickle because they have no competition. Until recently, at least. Don't get me wrong, I have no beef with you or anyone who uses ie or firefox of opera or whatever, I just like to stand up for the little guy when the little guy is a worthy opponent.