Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Ferguson

Old 12-03-2014, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

not an option, sorry.
Old 12-04-2014, 03:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2003 Tiburón GT

I don't agree with the looting and burning but i agree that something needs to be done regarding how police deals with people. I have been profiled before and i didn't even do nothing wrong. NOTHING,I don't act ghetto or dress "ghetto", and my spoken English is pretty phucking good.

You can say whatever you want, but if you haven't experienced it yourself you have no idea how shitty it feels being profiled for your race. In my case is since i am Puerto Rican and I look like the average Hispanic, most people asume i am Mexican and alot of those that asume that, "think" i might be illegal....or im up for no good. SMH
Old 12-04-2014, 03:53 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Yea, I've dealt with that my whole life as well. I'm Native American and know I get profiled. It's actually WORSE when I'm in the Tib. Been pulled over for stupid reasons.

Sad thing is, stereotypes are made because there is some truth to them. It's a double edge sword. Sucks, but in the same respect, those groups tend to be lower economoically, and consequently there is more crime within those groups.

Do you completely outlaw profiling? I would say no. If airports hear of an irishman wanting to bomb a plane, they Damn well better be profiling every red head pale skinned schmuck walking through security.

As for this business about Ferguson, here in Denver, high school students are now protesting DURING school hours, which I think is terrible. Pisses me off! Our tax dollars are there to teach our youth, not babysit them while they protest during math or English class. AND to top it off, an officer got critically hurt while trying to protect these juveniles, all yelling racial slurs at the cops! It's ridiculous. Had to turn to family guy after that news story!
Old 12-05-2014, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

EVERYONE gets profiled at some point. I've been stopped just for being on a sportbike, not speeding or doing anything else wrong. Sportbikes in Vegas are high theft and many riders don't have licenses. So, I was stopped for no reason, "just to check". I've also been stopped in my Tiburon because I had an exhaust on it. It's completely legal here in Vegas to have an aftermarket cat-back, but I was stopped anyways because, "a lot of kids in these imports are holding weed". I think everyone should just get over it.
Old 12-05-2014, 01:32 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

^^Absolutely agree.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:59 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

In 1992 there were riots over a single videotaped beating of Rodney King.

Now it takes a killing...or multiple videotaped unjustified killings by police...to enrage people less than at that point even.

Ferguson is one thing. There is a pretty severe conflict in the versions of what happened. I can't say I know the answer but Michael Brown's shooting wasn't the main reason behind the outrage, it was the straw that broke the camel's back after a long history of abusive police.

If Ferguson was the straw that broke the camel's back, Eric Garner being choked to death...on video...using a banned choke hold...and the only person indicted was the person who videotaped the incident? That should be the tree that fell on the whole caravan of camels.

Police violence is the only type of violence not in decline in the United States. In some states you're more likely to be killed by a cop than anyone else. It's a massive problem.

To prove the protesters right look at the level of violence being used by police against protestors even when the protests are peaceful. It's bad enough that there are protests at the UN regarding civil rights violations in the US.

Those protests are justified. We live in a police state. You can now be searched without probable cause any time you're within 100 miles of a border or marine shoreline for "Homeland Security" reasons. Arrests are at a rate higher than in Stalin's USSR at it's height. 760 per 100,000 in the US are in prison. We have 5% of the world's population but 25% of the world's jailed prisoners.

America is currently one of the worst countries in the world for state sponsored human rights violations.

If you're not pissed off you are either ignorant or you're a part of the problem. This isn't a race issue, although it is far worse for minorities it is a problem for everyone.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:50 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

It isn't as much of a problem with other country's because none of the other country's citizens would talk sh*t or resist their police/military. If they did, they'd most certainly either die on the spot, or get sent to a prison where you'd rot in a dark hole without a trial. Control by fear.

The fact that our system benefits its citizens so much, gives people "big penis syndrome" when confronting the police. In other countries, they're frightened of the police.
Old 12-08-2014, 02:04 PM
Administrator

Being frightened of the police in the US is a new thing in the past 20 or so years, and it's universally a bad thing. If anyone abuses your rights you should want to hold them accountable. If there is no effective means of dealing with abuse of power then other, more serious methods need to be employed.

I hope they all like their military gear they've been stockpiling, we're going to know how well they can use it soon enough if things continue like they are.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Garner was not choked *at all,* much less to death. A 15 second CHOKE results in unconsciousness. A 15 second head lock does not - and that is what he got. Not a very good one, either, because he was a big man.

A choke that leads to death, leads to death immediately - not an HOUR later. Dying an hour later after being arrested the hard way happens when you are a big fat unhealthy person like Garner was.

Saying he was choked to death is the height of either willing ignorance, or lying.

edit: I'm going to be appending this to all my responses to silliness like this from now on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj0mtxXEGE8
Old 12-19-2014, 01:58 PM
Administrator

Your grasp on how death due to choking can work is severely lacking. Being physically fit isn't a prerequisite for not being treated in a way that leads to your death. This is 'Murica, we're fat.