Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Fathers Day Trip and Sandia Crest Trek...

Old 06-28-2004, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Well, I thought these pictures came out great, and with everyone taking interesting pictures of their cars in neat places lately, I figured I'd post some of mine I took over the last 2 weekends.

On Fathers Day, we went out to the Petroglyph National Monument and to the Albuquerque Volcanos. The Petroglyph's are some of the oldest in the world, many dating back to 1,300 AD, and some even all the way back to 1,000 BC. The Native American's living in the areas then would go to the lava rocks from the nearby volcanos and use them to sharpen their tools and weapons, grind foods and medicines, or to make their war paints. When grinding, the natrual laquer on the rocks was scraped away showing the grey or tan underneath. This National Monument has one of the largest undisturbed collections in the world and stretches over 17 miles in length and 2 miles in width.

Me and my son Christopher. Note the volcanos off behind us and the Chevy SSR in the parking lot (Yellow). This part of the Monument is called Boca Negra Canyon

Yes, that's my huge 7 7/8's head.

Me and my wonderful wife.

2 kiva ovens. They make bread here in the winters.

Note the Sandia Mountains in the distance, and the beautiful clouds. Also, my son on the left with his Junior Ranger Handbook. wink.gif I live about 4 miles from the base of those mountains.

Just a sexy ass car.

The Albuquerque Volcanos sit right at the western edge of Albuquerque, I remember when it was miles and miles before you came to the Volcanos when you left the City. Anyways, there are 5 Volcanos on the books, but by looking at them there ARE 6. Dumb ass historian/archeologists. LOL They have been extinct for 140,000 years but are really cool to visit or look at. Some still have some lava tubes you can check out, but there are lots of dead animals in and around them sometimes.

REDZWife climbing into a lava tube, commenting on how it smelled like blood in there.

View from the southern most volcano north.

View East from the Southern Volcano. Note after the dropoff out there (Known as the Escarpment) lays the city of Albuquerque. We just hit 33rd largest city in the US. This year we should break into the 20's.

This last weekend we went to the Sandia Crest. The Sandia Mountains are part of Albuquerque, with some of the city reaching all the way to the base of the cliffs. We happen to have the longest Tramway in the world here. Most of Albuquerque sits at 5,000 feet or above, all considered High Desert. The top of the Crest is at 10,678 feet. To get from my Apartment in the Heights to the Crest takes about 45 minutes to an hour. One of the nicest drives I've ever taken. In the winter you can be skiing in an hour from Albuquerque, while in the city it sits above freezing most of the winter. With the high fire danger right now, most of the hiking trails are closed, so we drove up to the ski area and took the ski lift to the top. One trail at the top was open and we hiked it, then took the ski lift back down. When Hobgoblin comes out for the 4th, we are going up there to watch the Fireworks. When we have a meet here, that's the cruise we will take after route 66.

About 5 minutes into the ride, a couple hiking the Mountain Bike trails with their dog. There had just been some big race.

... Uhm... Well, he's not really scared of heights anymore. My son (step, 12 years old) Christopher.

Me in the orange. Pissed I gotta sit by myself. Wishing I brought Que`, my dog. Also a nice view down the East side of the Sandia mountains.

At the top with a shot down East.

A shot of the West side cliffs, and N. Albuquerque/Rio Rancho.

Ahhh, my hometown, Albuquerque. Note the wires going from left to right, that's the titanium cable that the Tram runs on. You can almost see the tower on the right that it connects to on the way down. Also, note the 3,000 foot drop.

A pic right past the head of the La Luz trail, it takes you down the face of the mountain. Closed for fire danger.

Foothills on the West side. Yes, folks have gone face jumping and hang gliding off of here. The world record for the longest hang glide was started here, some guy flew over 240 miles, all the way into Texas.

The trail we wanted to take takes you out to that shack on the ridge there. It's called the Kawanis Cabin, but we all call it the Rockhouse. Closed, fire danger.

Sexy shot south across the mountain line. On a clear day you can see about a hundred miles south.

REDZ, bigger than life, and almost as big as Albuquerque!

Camera battery was running out. I yelled to Marla to take a picture of the road on the left.

There we go... Anyone up for a roadtrip?
Old 06-28-2004, 10:55 PM

Nice!
Now there needs to be snow, so I can go skiing smile.gif
BTW: HOLY FATHEAD BATMAN!!! tongue.gif
Old 06-28-2004, 10:56 PM

There is snow.

In the winter.

We have PROPER seasons down here Canuck.
Old 06-28-2004, 11:34 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Nice pics. I thought you took your hat off for one, but then I realized it was the ovens. LOL
Old 06-28-2004, 11:36 PM

Uhm...

I hope your new shift light has herpes.

LOL
Old 06-29-2004, 01:54 AM

Yes, that's my huge 7 7/8's head.

lmao!

nice rims BTW
Old 06-29-2004, 09:11 AM

Thanks mang. I love em.
Old 06-29-2004, 02:06 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon
Default Fiberglass help - making the "shell"

sweet pics dude.

makes me wish i woulda gotten some pics of my rafting trip. i got some pics of the mountains on the way out, but none while rafting. NOTHING stays dry on a rafting boat.
Old 06-29-2004, 03:08 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon

some really nice pics in there. looks like a nice area to live

i feel bad for whoever opens this thread and has dial up....suckas!
Old 06-29-2004, 03:14 PM

great pics REDZ, the road in the last 2 pics is what i deal w/ most of the time here. As much as i'd love to move down to FL or anywhere cheaper to live than here.......I don't think i'd be able to survive w/o roads like that.......