Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Fake Vs. Real Bodykits And Performance Parts

Old 10-04-2009, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Actually, all of the ATH stuff is this wierd thin plastic shell filled with high density foam.

Ask SOCKS, he has seen it.
Old 10-04-2009, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

QUOTE (capn tibs @ Oct 3 2009, 10:51 AM)
Logically speaking the bumper can not cost Veilside much more then what the cheap companies offer. Veilside would probably be getting their fiberglass tools and materials much cheaper. They both make molds so the labor cost should be about the same. Veilside would probably have a higher cost of associated overhead and burden.

Please tell me you're not really this naive. Veilside pays more for materials because they use top-grade stuff, not bulk crap sold by the "supplier of the week". Veilside also buys in smaller quantities than knock-off companies just due to sales volumes. Veilside also uses molds for shorter periods than knock-off companies because they know molds wear out and they care about quality. Veilside also has one more giant expense that no knock-off company has... R&D. They start with a stock car and do computer renderings to design what they want. They then make clay mock-ups of body parts on the car to see what looks good and what doesn't "in the flesh". They then make molds of the clay parts, make a few test parts to test fit, adjust the molds and then produce a final product. The knock-off companies buy a part, create a mold from that and then go to production. Many don't even bother test fitting on a car before going to production. This extra expense (and yes, higher profit margins, since brand equity is actually worth something) is why Veilside parts are double or triple the price of eBay specials.

I've used Veilside as an example, but the same goes for all aftermarket parts. OBX is also one of the knock-off companies notorious for copying DC Sports, Tial, Greddy, etc...
Old 10-04-2009, 06:04 PM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

^ thank you ^
you wrote was I was too lazy to.