Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Extremely loud upstairs neighbors.. what should I do?

Old 01-25-2011, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2004 Tib - Beta
Default Extremely loud upstairs neighbors.. what should I do?

Okay, moved into a new apartment a few weeks ago. It's not a trashy place or in the ghetto, but it's in the mid spectrum of the price range for apartments in this area. So far the apartment has been great, but now there's a problem.

For the first couple weeks, I heard the upstairs neighbor walking around a lot (an unusual amount), but it was no big deal.

About a week ago, the problems started. They (apparently there are multiple people living in the 1 bedroom apartment now) are mexican, and they are very loud. They play loud mexican music with loud bass and talk very loudly, but that's not the main problem. The main problem is the constant banging on the floor.

I honestly don't understand what it is. It's not just walking. It's walking and banging, and it's CONSTANT. It goes for hours on end, and it doesn't stop. It sounds like there are 3-4 people in there moving boxes from side to side of the apartment or something. I honestly don't understand it. I've been trying to come up with a possible explanation for what they could be doing, but I can't. At first I thought maybe they were moving or setting up new furniture or something, but it's still going on every night.

So I left a NICE note on their door asking if they can please watch the music volume and the stomping/banging (keep in mind, this often is going on the early hours of the morning, at like 4 AM). So about 4 AM I hear them come to their front door and start reading the note (struggling to read it line by line with his pathetic "english"). So what does he do? He puts both notes back on my front door, then goes upstair and immediately cranks the music, basically as a big "**** you" even though my note was very polite and written in a friendly manner.

I'm going to complain to the office, but I don't expect them to do much. I've already seen the office b*tch to them twice about leaving their trash outside their front door (which they still do by the way). so obviously they don't listen and don't care. What else can I do?

Honestly, it's starting to REALLY piss me off, to the point where I'm afraid I might do something stupid. I don't know these people or what they're capable of, and it's clear by now that they are seedy people.... at best.

So what do I do. What CAN I do? If it doesn't stop soon, I'm going to wait until they're asleep and starting banging slowly and routinely on the ceiling, as well as playing loud music. If they are going to make me miserable, then they're going to get it right back. Immature? Yes, but I don't know what else to do. I've already taken the nice route and they spit in my face.

I understand that living on the bottom floor of a 2 story complex will be noisy, but this isn't normal noise. This is completely ridiculous.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:30 PM

Vehicle: 03 Hyundai Accent

Ask to be moved to a different apartment or for the others to be moved (preferrably). If that doesn't happen, see if you can get out of your contract and into a different complex. Whatever you do, don't retaliate. If you play loud music back, it makes you a bad neighbor to someone else.

Good luck!
Old 01-25-2011, 04:33 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

That's why I'll never live in any other floor than the top. Just imagine this in a college oriented complex.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:50 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Call the cops.

Beyond that, I have dealt with this effectively in the past, but not in a mature way so follow other people's advice.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Call the police. Every night. Most places have a local ordinance that it's a misdemeanor to be a loud ass after 21:00 or 22:00, especially if they can be heard from outside the building.

AND

Complain *in writing* to the management of the apartment complex. Not the office flunky, the actual HNIC. If it's a chain that's all the better because you can hassle the corporate stooges at headquarters as well, adding to the bottom of the list each time the locals don't fix your problem.

Getting childish is not the way. Calling I.C.E. might be.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:32 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Veloster DCT w/ Tech

^Yep. Get all done and keep everything you do documented for yourself. If the police have to get involved, keep a copy of that report on file as well. I went straight to my landlord when this happened to me, and the people upstairs have been quiet for 2 years now.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 1997 Beta Swapped Accent

Call immigration jajajaja!
Old 01-26-2011, 01:00 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon FX

keep a record of everything that is happening and make sure its a detailed record: times, what was said, etc. talk to management for sure and if it still continues definately call the police. if the management doesnt do anything get in contact with main company that owns the apartment, the cops should be able to put a stop to it though
Old 01-26-2011, 01:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 1997 Beta Swapped Accent

In some apartment there a limit t how many people can live in X number of rooms apartment, you should check that out.l
Old 01-26-2011, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

97redtib there's no benefit in waiting to call the cops.