Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Evo Twin Turbo?

Old 01-18-2005, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evo Twin Turbo?

is the lancer evo twin turbo? or just single?
and what about the STI? is it twin?
Old 01-18-2005, 10:07 AM

Uh....neither are TT...why?

I hope you're not thinking about TTing the Beta. It's been done before, and you're just asking for a waste of money and time. No significant gains for TT at all. Well....other than the fact you wasted money by adding weight to your car.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:09 AM

None of them are twin turbos. Usually Twin Turbos are used when:
You need a high pressure turbo but you want to keep good load on the lower end of the tach, so you have a little turbo for low end and a big turbo for the upper range.
The other use is when you need to build a mounstrous amount of pressure for a mounster engine, or a big two bench engine (V8's, V6's, etc).
As the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII and the Subaru Impreza STi are pure breed competition cars, they are not so worried about those refinements, and if you want higher pressure you can just increase it or slap a bigger turbo there.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:52 PM

QUOTE (ArcticChill)
Uh....neither are TT...why?

I hope you're not thinking about TTing the Beta. It's been done before, and you're just asking for a waste of money and time. No significant gains for TT at all. Well....other than the fact you wasted money by adding weight to your car.

who said anything about that?
assumtions killed the cat
Old 01-18-2005, 03:01 PM

Well Tibbiette,
then why don't you tell us why you were asking please?
Old 01-18-2005, 03:13 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

^^^

And stupid threads killed the board.

Tell us what's up before I lock it girl.
Old 01-18-2005, 03:14 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

You don't really use twins until your in the V8 category an extremely large V6. Thats why you see all of the Supra, 3000GT, RX7 owners swapping out the twins for a larger turbo. Larger turbos create less heat and its a lot easier to find whats wrong. Ever take a peak under a stock Supra's engine bay? Vacuum lines everywhere. You could spend days trying to find that leak lol. Was actually looking at an 1995 RX7 TT before I bought the Tib, but I know so little about rotaries and all them lines would've given me a headache.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:13 PM

three of the most well known Turbo Rally cars only ever used a single Turbo. The Evo, STi and the Lancia Delta Integrale.. all used a single turbo on their four cylinder engines. It is all a matter of flow and exhaust speed. A four cylinder has enough of both to power a single turbo very well.. but not enough to turn two.

When you do find a four with two compressors.. it is almost always a turbo and a Supercharger working together.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:39 PM

QUOTE (REDZMAN)
^^^

And stupid threads killed the board.

Tell us what's up before I lock it girl.

i posted this in the off topic section seeing as how it is off topic and UNRELATED to anything about a tiburon.
sorry i dont mean to sound rude its just its hard to see emotion through words sometimes.
but i just asked a few simple questions in my post and i dont see any need to explain why i asked those questions as i thought it would be quite self explanitory.
so for those who still don't understand why im asking those questions is because i simply just want to know if they came equipped with twin turbo or not just for my sake of knowledge
thank you
Old 01-18-2005, 05:06 PM

Oh. Then no. They don't. You won't see 4-cylinders ever with more than 1 turbo. Only someone who's willing to waste money and sacrifice weight reduction would do something silly like that. And yes...it is common to see the V8s with a TT setup....such a particular 2005 Saleen S7 TT. smile.gif
http://www.fast-autos.net/saleen/saleens7tt.html

The only downside to this design is the placement of the C/F intake plenums...right smack dab in the middle view out the rear of the car. 'course...when you're racing, I'm sure you won't be seeing much of that...which makes every day driving sort of impractical. But yeah. TTs are much more efficient with larger engines.