Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Ethical or not?

Old 02-19-2010, 08:14 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon
Thumbs up Ethical or not?

My girlfriend is taking 5 college courses and working full time. Read: almost 16 hours per day of work/school. She types around 10 words per minute. She has me type up her Business English papers after she hand-writes them. I type them up at around 75wpm and put them onto the network storage for her to format and edit on her laptop. I'm wondering if this would be considered an ethics violation.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:32 PM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

If the original work is hers, and you're simply transcribing it for her, I don't see what the problem is.

She is the original owner of the work. You merely transfer it from one format to another.

No.

Off-topic, sort of....
My wife works full time and last year she took 1 class in the Spring, two Summer, and two in the Fall. When we received her 1098-E form, it had her marked as at least a half-time student. She qualified for a nice hefty $2,500 tax credit, on top of the tax deductible student loan interest I have.

I pay her tuition as we go, instead of taking out loans, so I'm not sure how the tax credit applies. Her total expenses were $4,400 for the year, and I think she barely qualified to take the entire $2,500 credit. From what I read, this is a new credit for 2009.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:21 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Accent

Not that your gf has a disability but if you look at it this way, she basically can't type so you are merely just assisting you. I think a college would have a really hard time trying to pass that off as academic dishonesty.

I would however suggest that you maybe try and find some free typing lessons or something online for her. It's going to be very important that she becomes a decent typist if she's going into business or really any field for that matter. I just did a search and there's tons, I'm sure she's busy but you might want to get her to look at it as another form of homework for her.

Not dogging on her at all, just trying to help.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:36 AM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

i don't think it is at all but we all know there is some BS in this world and someone somewhere's going to call you or her out on it.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:35 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Alright, thanks. I just had reservations about it. I don't have a problem with it. She has tried a few free online typing course/games and she spent a few hours last week on it.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:39 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Tiburon

It would be considered cheating in a school setting. Even if she did write it done and all you did is type it. Typing it is part of the work.

And also it would help her out if she typed it; the best way to learn how to type is to do it.