Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Durable Notebooks

Old 05-27-2008, 09:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

Here's the deal. My sister graduates high school this year. She is 22 and down syndrome. For those of you that don't know down syndrome or DS is a few steps better of then retarded in most cases. My sister is an unlikely case, she has a goal to drive a car and is functional like Corky. For about a year or so whenever birthday comes around or Christmas or something where she should get a gift from my dad she ask for a lap top. I don't like him much and he's been an abandoner most of our lives but is full of dough so I asked him why he refuse's to buy her a lap top. First he tried saying she didn't know how, then that she may drop it, or that someone may take it or that my mom would be the one that would really end up using it.

After negating all these reasons...she is a skilled on a computer as the old f*** and he has at least one lap top, she is DS not a clumsy f***ing tard, she watches her shit and keeps it close so no one takes her stuff and so she doesn't lose it, my mom has her own lap top and she has had the same portable DVD player I bought her a couple years ago and it looks brand new even though she uses it often. Really what is the difference between the two? Some buttons that monkeys can learn...

Sorry for the long life story, lol.
So basically I got him to say he didn't care about the money but he wanted to look into a durable one. So I need to find some cheap durable ones because I know what he means by "its not about the money" cause it really always is. If anyone has any good links to help me search that would be great. I don't need the computer to do much or have much storage. My sister only uses the internet features, MS office features, and some very basic media programs. Wireless is a must.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:20 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?f...&category0=
Old 05-27-2008, 10:24 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Yeah the Panasonic toughbooks are the path your looking to do. The have a very durable casing and are built to be dropped and have stuff spilled one them
Old 05-27-2008, 02:30 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

These might be a little extreme for you, but interesting testing lol: http://www.computerworld.com/action/articl...ticleId=9082398

The panasonic toughbook was the winner I think.

However, as you can get a decent dell for 7-800$, it might be more economical to get one of those and just replace it if it breaks or gets stolen.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:43 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon

I have a toughbook that I use in the car; tuning, gps mapping, etc! I use it in the shop or my garage (it is preloaded with service manuals, etc) and it gets kicked around, stuff dropped on it, even a fluid spill a couple of times and it's still going!