Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Dragonfly Picture...

Old 07-25-2005, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

I was watching this dragonfly eat bugs from our back yard light, then it went on the ground and started eating fire ants. Thought it was pretty cool so I took a picture.

Old 07-25-2005, 08:45 PM

Vehicle: Hyosung GT650

Nice pic mang fing02.gif
Old 07-25-2005, 08:46 PM

Vehicle: 1991 Olds Cutlass

hail.gif fing02.gif Nice man......... Great camera by the looks of it
Old 07-25-2005, 08:47 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

this is frieking weird.

i just found a dead one in our pool skimmer yesterday. had to be about 4 inches long. wish i would have saved the little guy, he looked cool as hell.

semi-on topic: i caught the biggest beetle ive ever seen tonight. picture and explanation will come soon. ill just post him in this thread.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:23 PM

two years ago I had one in my bedroom. I heard this noise at my screen and when I opened it, this HUGE emerald green dragonfly swooped in and took up residence in my curtains. I left him there overnight.. that morning though, I carefully scooped him up and set it free..

Little websearch info:

History
Living fossils, dragonflies are part of the most ancient group of insects on this planet. They were soaring through the air and lived on earth for a staggering three hundred million years. Compared to humans, they are very old indeed. We have only been around fro about 2 million years. Insects were the first creatures in the world to fly. Dragonflies were flying in steamy prehistoric forest long before the dinosaurs appeared. We know about these ancient dragonflies through fossils. Back then, dragonflies were much larger and had wingspans of 80 cm (31.5 inches) and were the largest insects known. Today, dragonflies are smaller, with wingspans up to 14 cm (5.5 in).

Over the centuries, people thought about dragonflies in many ways. In ancient times, Japanese farmers believed the dragonfly was the spirit of the rice plant. Dragonflies were a welcome sign of a good rice harvest. Dragonflies were also believed to bring good luck in battle. About 1600 years ago, the dragonfly was the symbol of a great Japanese warrior clan. The dragonfly later became one of the emblems of the emperor. An old name for Japan - Akitsu-shimu - means Dragonfly Island. The dragonfly is praised in many Japanese poems and songs.

The Mimbres people of the American southwest painted the dragonfly on ceremonial pottery as a symbol of life.

The Zuni tell an ancient story of a magic dragonfly made from corn and straw. It came to life in a time of drought and famine, became a messenger to the gods, and helped save the people. But not everyone has liked dragonflies.

In Great Britain, they were once considered evil and dangerous. Because people saw them darting at horses, the dragonflies were called "horse-stingers." They didn't realize the dragonflies were snatching horseflies, the real "horse-stingers."
Old 07-25-2005, 09:39 PM

Vehicle: 2015 Subaru WRX

wow... wish I had time like that. lol nana.gif lmao.gif

Great pic though! fing02.gif
Old 07-26-2005, 03:12 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

nice pic!!! fing02.gif
Old 07-26-2005, 06:29 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring