Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Don't like someone in Maryland? Send them a text message and have them fined $500

Old 03-12-2010, 07:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 97 Tib - REVISION A
Default Don't like someone in Maryland? Send them a text message and have them fined $500

Stupid Liberals.

Ok, MAYBE I can see the ban on SENDING a text message (better yet, charge them under EXISTING reckless driving laws), but reading one? Having an iPhone, when it comes in, it is displayed (I leave my message app up all the time). It's not like I have to actually do anything other than hit the button to turn on the screen, which is exactly what a cop would do to "check it".

Well, like I said before, this sort of sh*t is the same way smoking bans happened in Maryland. Started off with separate smoking sections, then evolved over the years until it was an outright ban in just about all buildings but you home (well, unless you live in an apartment in certain California apartments, where they banned smoking there too). First they banned SENDING them, now they go and further slide down that hill.

House Passes Text Reading Ban

Maryland's House of Delegates has voted to prohibit reading text messages while driving.

Delegates voted 135-2 in support of the measure Thursday.

Violators of the proposed ban would be guilty of a misdemeanor and could face fines of up to $500.

Baltimore County Delegate James Malone is behind the measure that would close a loophole in Maryland's ban on texting while driving. Last year, state lawmakers voted to prohibit writing and sending texts while driving, but the new law did not prevent residents from reading texts behind the wheel.

The bill now moves to the Maryland Senate for consideration.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

A cop isn't going to randomly pull you over to check your phone. Trust me, they don't like getting out of the car if they don't have to. They will stop you if you appear to be looking at your phone while driving. The solution is not to get mad at the law, but to not use the phone when driving. Trust me, whatever it is, it's not so important that it can't wait 5 minutes. If it is, pull into a parking lot.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

As for the smoking. I agree with all smoking bans. Call me a nazi all you want, but it's next to impossible to regulate the downsides of smoking such as ventilation requirements, rude behaviors, personal space, roadside fires, and cigarette butts everywhere!!!!!! Smokers can't control their habits and behavior, and regulators are tired of dealing with it, so easier/tighter rules are coming.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

the smoking ban in restaurants in ashland is the best thing the government has ever done. It's also supposed to be within 20 feet of public buildings. no one obeys that one so I just hold my breath as I go by.

anyways on topic voodoo, this is a ban on reading. Really they are just trying to get texting banned while driving. I'd bet what was happening is a cop pulls someone over for texting. Since the law says nothing about reading they could get off through the loop hole. 99% of the time these laws are used to punish people after an accident though. ex. seatbelt laws, tailgating laws, etc. or just to pickup more cash when handing out speeding tickets.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:12 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

In October, my fully built Z got totalled by a b*tch in a F150 that was tailgating me in rush hour traffic while talking on the phone. Yay ban!