Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Doing what is logically correct vs free will (doing what you want)

Old 01-28-2010, 06:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Tib/03 Silverado
Default Doing what is logically correct vs free will (doing what you want)

The question is, which of these two lifestyles would you lead with most happyness?

Lets say you have a bad habit, for instance using harddrugs, and this is the thing that you want to do most in life. Now logically this devastating lifestyle corrupts your body and life to the outmost, after years of using drugs there's nothing of your life left, and eventually you died.

vs

You quit your bad habit, you've aknowledged that its bad and eventho you liked it, you quit because it is the logical correct thing to do for your body. You live a sober lifestyle. The problem is tho, you've lost your identity because you are not doing the things you wanted to do in life anymore, as a result you are not enjoying your life anymore. I mean who are you and what is left of you (even if you were an addict) as a person if you can't choose to do the things in life that you want to do?

I am wondering in which scenario you would have truely enjoyed your life most? And whether giving up what you want to do in life robs you from the identity of the person that you really are.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:25 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I don't think so. Life is full of these little disappointments. Dwelling on one aspect of disappointment is not the way to be if you want to be happy.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 02 Hyundai Accent

I go with option number 2 although in my case, no longer smoking weed has not brought me any remorse about no longer smoking.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

I say your examples are flawed. If you quit doing hard drugs and don't enjoy your life more, you have another psychological or physiological problem that needs to be dealt with by a professional.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:53 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Accent

I would say don't kill yourself on drugs dude

haha but to answer your question, I would and did pick option 2. While not doing hard drugs, I was smoking weed all day, every day. High at work, smoke at work, high at school, just always f*cking high. And it was great I loved it. Except it was ruining my body. I used to be an athlete and suddenly after like a year and a half of being a chronic chronic smoker (cheesy, but couldn't help myself haha) I got CHUBBY. I looked in the mirror at my extra chin and man tits and I realized I'd rather do my body good. It's only been like a month since I quit but I'm already thinning down a lot, I hit the gym every day, I get off my ass to clean now, I can get myself to work on my car, over all I consider myself a better person than before.

while small, i love looking at all the progress I make every day in getting my life in order. I'm not religious but there's a lot of truth in the "body is a temple" idea. You only have one, so why waste it?

I think what happened is i took free will (smoking) and realized what i really wanted was the route of logic (being sober). IF this hypothetical question is actually about you man, I think you might want to look a little deeper into the logical route, it's logical for a reason and in the end, I think you might realize you want to go that route.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:34 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

too many variables to consider besides the ones listed.

But, I agree with CobraEater. If drugs "enhance" your life in a way that they are what you really want to do in life, then you have more problems than just drugs. Are you suggesting/assuming the situation requires drugs to not have a better/equal alternative?
Old 01-28-2010, 11:56 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

^totally agreed. first, there must be a cause for doing them. i had the a great childhood, and have the most incredible family history. i won't touch any drugs, cigarettes, or alcohol because why should one deter oneself from the best possible being and feeling in the whole universe?! think about it, we are the best life forms in ...well many light years away!

a cigarette is a creation of man and industrialism. buying them, means your barely affordable ass is bifurcating your arteries while paying the insurance on some filthy rich guy's lambo while he's getting lap danced in a jacuzzie on a rooftop. well it's not a lie now.

i have friends who resort to that, or blame their family and upbringing on their problems, drink and smoke 'till no end. they think they got problems? go to Zimbabawe and see helpless paralyzed 5-year-olds dying of malaria in the dirt while being pecked at by vultures and bot flies laying larvae in their feverishly rash-infected boiling blistering skin. those are problems.

the best feeling for me is being myself in the state that i was created and not chemically or psychologically bringing myself away from that. that truly brings me happiness.

...and some autumn reeser. ooh yeah.