Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Does Anyone Here Shower?

Old 08-12-2007, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1999/Hyundai/Tiburon

Tonight(sunday) at around 2100-2230, there's going to be a meteor shower. If you live in a well lit area, I'd advise you to travel to a darker place to avoid light pollution. One guy traveled 40 minutes out of New York City to avoid light pollution. There should be 2 meteors every minute. Tonight will be its peak night. So get your wife, girlfriend, boyfriend, husband, kids, and watch it! If you're in the midwest, look at your Northeast direction.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:36 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

There was supposed to be one here yesterday, my dad is a big weather buff. he went out and watched it and said the hour he was out there he only saw 4 or so, so he was a bit dissapointed
Old 08-12-2007, 07:41 PM

Vehicle: 1999/Hyundai/Tiburon

Ok, this is pissing me off. Alot of sources say different things. here's what yahoo saids:

"Perseid activity increases sharply in the hours after midnight, so plan your observing times accordingly. We are then looking more nearly face-on into the direction of the Earth's motion as it orbits the Sun, and the radiant is also higher up.

Making a meteor count is as simple as lying in a lawn chair or on the ground and marking on a clipboard whenever a "shooting star" is seen. Watching for the Perseids consists of lying back, gazing up into the stars, and waiting. It is customary to watch the point halfway between the radiant (which will be rising in the northeast sky) and the zenith, though it's perfectly all right for your gaze to wander.

Counts should be made on several nights before and after the predicted maximum, so the behavior of the shower away from its peak can be determined.

Usually, good numbers of meteors should be seen on the preceding and following nights as well. The shower is generally at one-quarter strength one or two nights before and after maximum. A few Perseids can be seen as much as two weeks before and a week after the peak. The extreme limits, in fact, are said to extend from July 17 to August 24, though an occasional one may be seen almost anytime during the month of August.

In addition to the Perseids, some skywatchers will have an opportunity to view another potentially strong meteor display at the beginning of September: the Aurigid meteors. We'll have more details on this in next week's Night Sky, so stay tuned!"

Alex,

Today it's suppose to be 90 to 100 every hour. Or he could be in an area with high light pollution.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:08 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Nah he lives out in the sticks, very very low light. great for watching storms and weather stuff
Old 08-12-2007, 08:53 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I drove about 10 miles away to get away from light poloution. I stayed out there about 20 minutes and saw one good one and a smaller one.