Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Do you get a raise every year?

Old 04-29-2015, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

Originally Posted by JonGTR
Not surprising that Mr. Down on the World turns this into some "we need more gov't oversight/intervention" issue. Why don't you go join your McDonalds protesters. You've never been in management have you? Replacing someone isn't as easy as it seems. There's trust issues, training, HR burdon's, management spending time in multiple interviews, etc. It costs a shitload of money and time to look for someone new. Time being the biggest key since his boss apparently doesn't have any to waste on multiple interviews.
I'm going to side with the senile on this one. In my last job, and part of the reason I buggered out, I was a manager, and in that company our turn-over was stupid high. Basically so long as you were a warm body who bathed once a week and could mutter into a headset, you qualified. Mind you this was a "technical" support team for IBM (which eventually became Lenovo. It was a highly scripted environment and paid shittly with zero opportunity for raises unless you met a certain number of virtually impossible goals. My job was to weed out the bad seeds because I'm an a**hole and very very good at playing the bad guy. I fired between 2-4 people a week. and we had applications coming out our ears. Most never made it past the interview process and about half that did failed the drug test. And even then a good chuck that made it to the 3 weeks of training, most dropped out or got better jobs. It was the fastest revolving door company I have ever seen, and still boggles the mind. I'm, not going to say that everyone is going that route, but since I do a lot of contract work, it seems like turn over everywhere is getting more prevalent.

More on topic. I have not received a pay raise without promotion in any professional career. None! I have found that by working my butt off to get better jobs, either internally and externally, I get a better rate of pay. It sucks in many ways, but the days of the cost if living raise seems to be a distant memory, let alone the gold watch and retirement package.