Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Did you or will you go to your high school reunion?

Old 12-30-2009, 06:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Accent
Default Did you or will you go to your high school reunion?

My high school reunion is coming up within the next year. I was thinking about going but when I really thought about it I think it might be a waste of time. Most of my friends in the last 2 years of high school were not even in my grade. The few people that I did hang out with in my grade I keep in touch with via facebook all the time.

Are there really any significant things about going to a 10 year reunion?

Because of facebook/myspace/internet do you think could be a reason you don't go to your reunion? Seems like because people are able to keep in touch better than 15-20 years ago it won't seem as significant to see them in person since you see them on facebook in some form of another everyday.

Do you think this is a trend from social networking sites in connection with reunions. It's obviously easier to set up because you can get in touch with people so much easier. But it almost seems like you already know what that person is doing, seen there family pictures. Almost seems pointless in a way.

I have noticed that my class does have little get-togethers at a rest/bar that is started on facebook. 15-20 people will go up to a local pub and hang out. Seems like that's almost cooler to do.

Also, I know this is more of a younger crowd on this message board than some. But what % of your graduating class showed up at your 10 year reunion? 20 year? 30 year?

I hear that after the 10 year reunions you often seen reunions involving 2-3 years instead of just one because the turn out isn't large enough to really make a big deal out of.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:02 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

I went to my reunion, and to my surprise...most people were either still the same, or just turned out to be complete failures. I talk to a few people on facebook, but I'll probably still keep going to reunions over the years. I never had any issues with people in school, and had alot of friends, since I treated everyone equal. Didnt fall into cliques or any of that other petty drama bullshit. High school is extremely over rated. Anyone who took it seriously, shouldnt of. You start to get your REAL education, the day you graduate.

Either way....reunions are probably cliche' too, but its always good catching up with others and seeing how they turned out over the years, whether its good or bad. smile.gif
Old 12-30-2009, 08:40 AM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

I never went to mine. The american system is unequal. They split up the smart from the not smart. Its pretty sad when you look at 6th graders and can already predict who will make it to university and who will not. All the people that showed up to reunion were people from programs who were placed in them early on. None of which were my friends. All of those people are successful already. Super unfair and these kids are put in front of everyone else. I could go on about how many flaws this system has, putting foreigners before its own damn born.

That is why I never went. But I've seen pictures, and its all about showing off/bragging.on the other hand, if you go you might meet a girl out of it. So I can't say not going would be a big loss.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:49 AM

Vehicle: 2016 Tucson Sport AWD

I'll go.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:08 AM

Vehicle: 03 Hyundai Accent

I'll probably go if my school has one (graduating class of 129 people wink.gif)
Old 12-30-2009, 09:42 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I look completely different from high school (9 years ago). I've gained about 60 pounds (75% of that is muscle) and I've lost 75% of my hair. I used to have spiked hair (back in the late 90s) now I don't have enough to spike. Nobody will have a clue who I am.

I think the number of graduation years depends on the size of the high school. For Cali high schools with 1,500 graduating, they probably wouldn't do that. For mine, with 450 graduating, they still probably wouldn't. My wife's graduating class was the largest they had at 60ish (private school) so they'd probably combine a few years. Not sure if that would happen at the 10 year mark or 20, but I could see it happening.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:30 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I didn't go.

I thought about it and planned on going, but in the end I just didn't care. The handful of people I did care about in high school I still keep in some form of contact with. I hate where I grew up. I didn't realize that it was a ghetto until I moved out. It sucks so much there, it seems like a place that was just hit by a natural disaster and hasn't been rebuilt yet but it's been that way forever. I moved on and away after graduating and now I only go there when I need to visit family.

Whenever I bump into people from high school they're either failures (vast majority) or they moved away like I did.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:09 PM

Vehicle: SRT4/Neon SOHC

I wont go. Simply because I still live 2 blocks from my HS and I talk to a lot of people I went there with. No reason to go see people I don't talk to anyway.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:00 PM

Vehicle: 05 Hyundai Tiburon SE

I didn't go. I thought about going but then realized that if I wanted to see fake people who only pretend to care to rub your nose in the fact the they went off to college and think that they are doing better than you i would rather go to Starbucks! LOL!! I have kept in contact with the people that I wanted too and haven't with those that I don't.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:49 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

I keep in contact with people i went to school with that i want to. I have people i went to school with try to face book me and we never talked in school really. I agree with visionz, "igh school is extremely over rated. Anyone who took it seriously, shouldnt of. You start to get your REAL education, the day you graduate."