Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Decision

Old 02-14-2007, 11:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 06 suby impreza outback sport

my wife says she doesn't really want me to turbo my car and kinda wants me to get rid of it.
so my three options are:

1. turbo the tib
2. go n/a instead, ex. p/p head etc.
3. get rid of the tib and get my buddy's turbo civic. he's been bugging my for the last 3 months about buying it. he said, this is straight from his mouth, "Sell your car and buy mine cause i don't think anyone else will take good care of it like you." car has a 70 trim turbo on a JDM 1.6 sohc vtec, runs high 12's to 13's.
^ wife approves of this
Old 02-14-2007, 11:31 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

when i was about to buy my white eclipse GS instead of the tiburon (both cost $3,000) which looked damn awesome, not like any other eclipse i've been in i went with gut instinct. had i bought the eclipse, all of my friends would be jealous and i would have been a totally diffrent person. i listened to myself.

if i hadn't bought the tiburon, i wouldn't be here and damn happy. i love this site and you guys. i love my car. i say listen to your instinct.

if you don't, at least i'll give you the hint to keep your tiburon. i don't care if they offered me a 13 second civic, i would keep my car.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:47 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

QUOTE (lilo shark @ Feb 15 2007, 01:25 AM)
my wife says she doesn't really want me to turbo my car and kinda wants me to get rid of it.
so my three options are:

1. turbo the tib
2. go n/a instead, ex. p/p head etc.
3. get rid of the tib and get my buddy's turbo civic. he's been bugging my for the last 3 months about buying it. he said, this is straight from his mouth, "Sell your car and buy mine cause i don't think anyone else will take good care of it like you." car has a 70 trim turbo on a JDM 1.6 sohc vtec, runs high 12's to 13's.
^ wife approves of this

Turboing the tib is expensive, no doubt it.

But man, whatever you do, don't go with an civic. I don't care if the thing runs 12's, those cars are so dime a dozen it's ridiculous. You get looks in the tib because it's unique and it's a sexy car. You get looks in the civic it'll be because you're buzzing like a beehive in a trash can.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:49 PM

i want to keep the car because it's my first car and i've done every repair on it that i could've besides warranty work. it's probably the best taken care of rd1 in my area. but i have to be tight on cash right now.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:50 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

keep it and dont turbo it......yet....
Old 02-14-2007, 11:54 PM

If you're tight on cash then just keep it N/A. Civics suck no matter WHAT you do to them. Like Caj said, they're a dime a dozen. The Tib is Unique. But in the end you gotta go with what your heart says. And if your heart says civic.........then keep the tiburon cause your heart is WRONG! lol lmao.gif
Old 02-14-2007, 11:54 PM

member i have the 2nd gen elcipse manifold, smic, d/p, and bov on hold. turbo i got for free so all i'm waiting on is oil lines, ic pipes, and a saf2 or neo.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:39 AM
Banned

well, if your iffy on boosting, then i wouldnt boost, and i wouldnt boost, unless you are going to set it up right.. if you are going with SAFC, and like an FMU or anything of the sort, wait until you have $$ to do it right.

unless you are going to keep the tib at like 5psi with that setup, don't bother. without proper setting up and proper fuel management, you are just asking to open up a can of worms that you dont want to open.. trust me.

how good is the 'free' turbo? rebuilt? how many miles? good condition? etc.

whats the condition of the DSM SMIC?

i would say honestly, for the ease of things, just build up the tib N/A for now. especially if you are thinking about using SAFC for fuel management.
Old 02-15-2007, 06:12 AM

keep the tib, but put the turbo on hold. In stock or near stock form they still perform well AND they are very reliable and cheap to run. If money is tight right now, that is the way to go.

Later, once you get some cash in the bank doing nothing (but gaining interest) finish up the tib right. This way if you blow the engine, it will not be the financial heartache it would be now.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:52 PM

turbo only has 60k on it with very, very little shaft play and the smic is in good condition. i was planing on running some 450-550cc injectors too. i'm only palnning on boosting 17 max. but i'm thinking if i only want to push around 170-220whp; i think i can reach it with n/a.