Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

December 7th 1941

Old 12-07-2004, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Default Re: Gotta ask, what do you guys know about these glowing nee

I can't believe I didn't catch this earlier in the day, but today is December 7th. I usually remember because 14 years ago today is when I went to MEPS and enlisted in the Air Force delayed enlistment program. Here's a link for the memorial fund site. There is more information there if you are interested. http://www.kintera.org/site/pp.asp?c=fqLQJ...QJ2NNG&b=137919

December 7th, 1941
Pearl Harbor, on the Island of O'ahu, Hawaii, (then a territory of the United States) was attacked by the Japanese Imperial Navy, at approximately 8:00 A.M., Sunday morning, December 7, 1941. The surprise attack had been conceived by Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto. The strking force of 353 Japanese aircraft was led by Commander Mitsuo Fuchida. There had been no formal declaration of war.

Approximately 100 ships of the U.S. Navy were present that morning, consisting of battleships, destroyers, cruisers and various support ships.

USS Arizona (BB39) Battleship
USS West Virginia (BB48) Battleship
USS California (BB44) Battleship
USS Oklahoma (BB37) Battleship
USS Nevada (BB36) Battleship
USS Pennsylvania (BB38) Battleship (in dry dock #1)
USS Tennessee (BB43) Battleship
USS Maryland (BB46) Battleship
USS Vestal (AR4) Repair ship
USS Neosho (AO23) Oiler
USS Detroit (CL8) Light cruiser
USS Raleigh (CL7) Light cruiser
USS Utah (AG16) Target Ship
USS Tangier (AV8) Seaplane Tender

Two destroyers, the USS Cassin (DD372) and the USS Downes (DD375) were in dry dock #1 (with the USS Pennsylvania) and the destroyer USS Shaw (DD373) was in floating dry dock #2, approximately two hundred yards to the west. The USS Ogala (CM-4) was moored next to the USS Helena (CL50) near the "1010" dock, Naval Ship yard. Two heavy cruisers, the USS New Orleans (CA32) and the San Francisco (CA38) were in the Navy Yard Repair Basin

Over half the U.S. Pacific fleet was out to sea, including the carriers.

Simultaneously, nearby Hickam Field was also the victim of the surprise attack by the Japanese.
18 Army Aircorps aircraft including bombers and fighters and attack bombers were destroyed or damaged on the ground. A few U.S. fighters struggled into the air against the invaders and gave a good account of themselves.

A total of twenty-nine Japanese aircraft were shot down by ground fire and U.S pilots from various military installations on O'ahu.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:33 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ
Default Re: Gotta ask, what do you guys know about these glowing nee

yeah, I could hit myself for not catching it. I didn't hear it ANYWHERE (news, radio, friends, newspaper). I didn't realize it until about 3 hours ago on the 7:00 news.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:35 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon
Default Re: December 7th 1941

there are three people that come and shop at my grocery store that were there that day. VERY interesting stories.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:35 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

I was thinking about it on Sunday, I looked and saw that Tuesday was the 7th. It just slipped my mind though.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:30 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul
Default Re: Radio Install Woes...

It's my Mom's birthday, I never forget it.

May the deaths and sacrifices of those who fell on that day of infamy, and the ones before and to follow, pave the highway to peace for mankind.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:37 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Its also my Ex's b-day... all around bad day for me (perl harbor and her... nothing against Redz's mom lol.gif )
Old 12-07-2004, 11:00 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

happy birthday REDZMOM! laugh.gif

That's incredible. our history took a lot of lives. it holds a lot of heroes. my heart goes out to those brave men, both in pearl harbor and WW2.

there are three people that come and shop at my grocery store that were there that day

wow, tibby01 that's neat! i met an older man at the airport who was in D-Day... I didn't talk to him but i heard him speaking of his experience next to me. it's so unfortunate some of these men stay out of the camera. some men dare not to speak of their war past... those men are the bravest men in the world. i felt so much respect for that man alone (not knowing him at all) it's an undescribable feeling i also have for my father who was in WW2 Polish Underground from 1939-1945.
Old 12-08-2004, 12:42 AM

Default Re: Tips for cleaning?

QUOTE (REDZMAN)
It's my Mom's birthday, I never forget it.

May the deaths and sacrifices of those who fell on that day of infamy, and the ones before and to follow, pave the highway to peace for mankind.

AMEN TO THAT REDZ!
Old 12-08-2004, 12:55 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I visited the shipyard where it all went down. It was a humbling experience. There is still oil leaking out of one of the battleships which is still lying on the floor of the bay.
Old 12-08-2004, 07:30 AM

Default Some nice Race Type Tiburons

Yeah, crazy to think it wasn't even that long ago. Very sad day in history, happy belated berfday to yo momz redz...I was busy celebrating my anniversary.