Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Damn!

Old 07-20-2007, 10:45 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/07/20/superfa...t.ap/index.html

STOCKHOLM, Sweden (AP) -- She is a latecomer to the information superhighway, but 75-year-old Sigbritt Lothberg is now cruising the Internet with a dizzying speed.

Lothberg's 40 gigabits-per-second fiber-optic connection in Karlstad is believed to be the fastest residential uplink in the world, Karlstad city officials said.

In less than 2 seconds, Lothberg can download a full-length movie on her home computer -- many thousand times faster than most residential connections, said Hafsteinn Jonsson, head of the Karlstad city network unit.

Jonsson and Lothberg's son, Peter, worked together to install the connection.

The speed is reached using a new modulation technique that allows the sending of data between two routers placed up to 1,240 miles apart, without any transponders in between, Jonsson said.

"We wanted to show that that there are no limitations to Internet speed," he said.

Peter Lothberg, who is a networking expert, said he wanted to demonstrate the new technology while providing a computer link for his mother.

"She's a brand new Internet user," Lothberg said by phone from California, where he lives. "She didn't even have a computer before."

His mother isn't exactly making the most of her high-speed connection. She only uses it to read Web-based newspapers.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

haha... I found that exact article and posted it in the exact same format on a few forums yesterday.

what forum did you get that from? Maybe we're on the same one
Old 07-20-2007, 11:05 AM

That's so sweet. I don't fully understand how it works but that's pretty amazing.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

QUOTE (majikTib @ Jul 20 2007, 04:57 PM)
haha... I found that exact article and posted it in the exact same format on a few forums yesterday.

what forum did you get that from? Maybe we're on the same one

I took it directly from CNN.com. smile.gif
Old 07-20-2007, 01:35 PM

Vehicle: 05 Subaru WRX

I want it ! hail.gif hail.gif hail.gif